IE7 Connection Annoyance

avesnes 09:30 27 Feb 2007

I have been using IE7 with Orange Livebox broadband and every so often and particularly if I have not changed to another website or another page for several minutes, I get this message:-

"Work Offline.
No connection to the Internet is currently available. To view Internet content that has been saved on your computer, click 'Work Offline'. Click 'Try Again'to attempt to connect."

Clicking 'Try Again' always re-establishes the connection.

Being new to broadband, I'm not sure what is normal so I switched to Firefox...........and the problem seems to have disappeared.

Does anyone have any knowledge of(or even a cure for) this little annoyance with IE7?

gell 15:14 27 Feb 2007

I have encountered several problems with IE7,mostly the fact that a javascript program that works in 6 won't work in 7.Something to do with security, I'm told. I've gone back to 6
Gell

anskyber 15:28 27 Feb 2007

There appears to be an answer here but it rather depends on how confident you are with editing the Registry. click here

anskyber 15:31 27 Feb 2007

Less drastic, this seems to have worked for some.
Tools, Internet options,Connections, Lan Settings

Always detect network settings (uncheck this box for the moment)
Save changes then close the browser.

Open the browser again

Always detect network settings (check this box)

Save changes

avesnes 15:46 27 Feb 2007

Anskyber,
Thanks for the link and the info. I'll have a go tonight. Thanks again.

avesnes 16:23 01 Mar 2007

I've been searching the internet and, on another forum (anetforums,com), I found that the problem goes back to 2002! There were several fixes offered (one involved dabbling with the registry which always makes me feel a bit uneasy) but the one that seems to have worked for me is:-

Start>Control Panel>Network Connections, right-click "Local Area Connection", choose Properties and then uncheck "Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?