IE7

leedsafc 19:18 05 Dec 2006

There seems to be a bit of a debate as to install or not install IE7. So much so that i have chosen not to install. I am not been a dinosaur but iam being cautious due to some problems ie BT and Yahoo conflicts that i have read on some posts. Can anyone clarify this as i have BT Broadband. Or am i just chicken

anskyber 19:20 05 Dec 2006

You should be fine. You can always roll back to IE6 by doing an uninstall on IE7. It rolls back automatically. On BT issues this is the most common and is easy to fix.

BT and some NTL or Blueyonder broadband users have experienced error message like "SmartBridge Alerts:-Alert BT Help Notifier.exe (or MotiveSB.exe for NTL or IST for Blueyonder) Entry Point Not Found The procedure entry point GetProcessImageFileNameW could not be located in the dynamic link library PSAPI.DLL"

This relates to the BT ( NTL, Blueyonder) desktop helper. The simplest way to deal with it is to uninstall it if you do not use it or take it out of your start up list. The program name will be something like Motive Communications or Motive SB.

Alternatively, 1. Navigate to the installation location for SmartBridge via My Computer (\Program Files\Alert BT Help Notifier.exe (or Motive SBexe. for NTL or IST\SmartBridge for Blueyonder)
2. Find PSAPI.DLL and rename it to something like PSAPIOLD.DLL
3. Reboot the system

The program will find the new PSAPI.DLL in the \Windows\System32 directory and function normally.

To disable a start up program click here
Or, if you have Spybot Search and Destroy use their start up control tool.

anskyber 19:24 05 Dec 2006

One additional point if you have any add ons like toolbars (google, yellow pages or whatever) then either uninstall them or update to the latest IE7 compliant versions.

leedsafc 19:59 05 Dec 2006

Thanks for that. Lets Bite the Bullet!

birdface 20:05 05 Dec 2006

If in doubt, Leave it, download some other time, there are a few problems going about,Plus a few computers crashing,

Technotiger 20:05 05 Dec 2006

Good luck - I would like to use IE7 but although it installs perfectly ok without any horror messages, even though I am on BT BB - it just will not play Video News Highlights from my Home Page which is MSN (UK). IE6 plays them fine, so I am staying with IE6, 'cos there simply does not appear to be a solution regarding IE7.

And yes, of course I have tried all the suggested 'remedies'.

Boohoo!!

leedsafc 21:02 05 Dec 2006

Watch this space!

anskyber 11:21 06 Dec 2006

Did you make it to the darkside of the force?!! :-))

leedsafc 17:56 06 Dec 2006

"Belt and braces" i have installed IE7 on my back-up PC it does look quite impressive. So far no probs but keep tuned.

Wizards_Sleeve 18:06 06 Dec 2006

I've got it and have had it for ages now and not encountered any problems at all. With BT BB too.

Bass99 18:14 06 Dec 2006

Made IE7 my default browser instead of Firefox.
Using Blueyonder Broadband, email with my .co.uk domain, via Web Mania, via Blueyonder to Outlook Express. No Problams.
I like IE7 but look to Firefox cathing up and exceeding.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone