IE6 locked on msn as homepage

Leepy Lee 18:55 29 Jun 2006

I knowI'm not the only one whose had this problem as I've read dozens of posts on various forums about this.

New HP Media Center PC with Windows Media Center 2005 installed.

IE homepage is fixed at click here.

I have done numerous virus scans with AVG and found nothing.
Have run Spybot S&D 1.4 and resolved all issues. I have found two references to the above homepage in Tools, Browser Pages. One, I have changed to google.co.uk and the change is accpted and shown on screen. If I try and change the other reference, I can type in google.co.uk and hit OK, but it does not change in the displayed list.

I have also run AdAware and fixed all problems. On the Defaults page, both default homepage and default searchpage are set to google.co.uk

Have also used CCleaner to fix all issues it finds and to clean everything. Looking at Tools, Startup, there is no reference toi the homepage.

Moving on to the Registry, I've looked at HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main. click here is there under the Start Page. If I try to modify it I get the following error: "Cannot edit Start Page; Error writing the value's new contents." Then when I click OK, the value changes to google.co.uk Needless to say it makes no difference to the startpage though.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main does exactly the same.

Have also checked HKU\Default\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main but there is no key for Start Page or Default Page.

Now the good bit...
HiJack This shows the default page as google.co.uk and has no reference to a start page.

Now I'm lost! Don't know where to look next. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Lee

VoG II 19:04 29 Jun 2006

Try this click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone