IE6 closes when it wants to.

silliw 21:58 04 Nov 2003

Am having a problem with IE6 running in Win XP Pro in that when I try to open certain pages IE6 closes itself. I do run Norton but I have disabled it temporarily to assertain the problem. I have also run antivirus and all is ok. Am not able to identify if there is a link between the pages that seem to auto close but harmless sites such as Orange autoclose.

Has anyone come accross this irritating problem before??

many thanks

VoG II 22:00 04 Nov 2003

Try a repair of IE click here

silliw 22:17 04 Nov 2003

Thanks VOG

Have tried numerous types of repair but nothing seems to work.

Have noticed that IE6 doesnt appear to like more than one window open, this is when it appears to autoclose.

VoG II 22:26 04 Nov 2003

This may be worth a go (can't do any harm).

http:// support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679

Copy this, paste into address bar, remove the space after // and click Go.

Follow the instructions.

silliw 22:36 04 Nov 2003

Thanks again VOG

I saw this on a previous posting but it has not resolved the problem. I think it must be a pop-up or add blocking issue, but cant see why it still happens when I disable Norton. I have even removed the Google Toolbar as this has some advanced tools that may be adding to or disguising the problem.

Still no success!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A_World_Maker 22:39 04 Nov 2003

have you run TweakXP or Advanced XP Tweak? One of these initialises a ad blocking and pop up supressor.

silliw 18:12 09 Nov 2003

By a process of elimination, I have found that it was a Java 2 setting within the advanced settings of IE. Dont know what this does but at least I can surf without IE closing now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?