IE6 Address Bar problems

squillary 07:41 22 Sep 2006

A wierd thing happened a few days ago. The first time I use IE6 I have no problems with the address bar, but in every subsequent window I open, the address bar is completely empty and any attempt to type into it makes it become either detached from the top of the screen or to become unselected.

If I right-click in the window and select Properties the URL is shown, and if I refresh the page or go back it works quite correctly.

The only change I can think I've made is that I've updated Spybot, A2 and Adaware in the usual way.

Has anyone seen this before or have any idea I can put it right?

johnnyrocker 08:13 22 Sep 2006

how about system restore?

johnny.

squillary 18:01 28 Sep 2006

System restore wasn't available and it hasn't righted itself. Another in my long line of peculiar quirks... :(

I suppose if it was easily fixable, I'd already have fixed it...

bruno 18:58 28 Sep 2006

Have you considered updating to IE7. I did it a few weeks ago and it went very smoothly.

bruno 18:59 28 Sep 2006

Have you considered updating to IE7. I did it a few weeks ago and it went very smoothly.

bruno 19:00 28 Sep 2006

Didn't mean to post twice.Thought it didn't hear me the first time,it took so long to go.

squillary 19:36 28 Sep 2006

Being a beta I don't usually upgrade until it's officially released, but it might be worth a go.

Is it worth trying to uninstall IE6 first, or isn't that possible? I'm just concerned about whether I leave some corrupt system file that may affect the new version just as well.

Thinking about it, I may uninstall IE6, reboot and reinstall it.

That made me think a bit - thanks.

birdface 22:13 28 Sep 2006

Hi, Take it you have run your anti-virus + spyware programs, I would try running them on Safe mode,Had something like the same problem a few years ago, Found out it was Lop.com that was My Problem,You have not downloaded MSN Messenger Plus3, Have you, That's where I got it from,

squillary 23:01 05 Oct 2006

Yes, everything is updated to the max. In fact, I suspect that may've been the cause of the problem - a corrupted update that deleted something it shouldn't?

Still not done it yet. :(

skidzy 23:52 05 Oct 2006

Try this: in IE Tools/Internet Options/Programs/Reset web settings.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?