IE6 to 7 or 8

johnincrete 17:20 06 May 2009

My daughter's PC is using IE6.
There seems to be much against IE8 in the forum.
What is the best advice:
1. Stay with IE6
2. Go to IE7
3. Go to IE8

If I go to 7 or 8, is it easy to transfer favourites?

User-1229748 17:51 06 May 2009

it will transfer your favourites if you go to ie8 and i would think it will do the same if you go to ie7.as for which one to go for i've only gone to 8 myself today so i don't really know at the moment but good luck whichever you decide :o)

Marko797 18:01 06 May 2009

I've had IE8 for what seems ages (although it's not that long really). Fortunately, I've not experienced any problems whatsoever at any stage. I'm on XP SP3 by the way. Not sure who is in the majority; ppl who have had problems, or those who haven't. I'd go for it.

chrisod 18:04 06 May 2009

iam using ie 8 went back to ie 7 but liked ie8 better so back to ie8 i went, and i think its great

Woolwell 18:07 06 May 2009

I have installed IE8 on 4 systems now without any snags. I think that problems may be caused by add-ons. IE8 is reportedly more secure.

OTT_Buzzard 18:11 06 May 2009

I've had a couple of minor issues with IE8 conflicting with other applications, although those apps have since had updates released to resolve the issues.
Using Nero 7 Cover Designer to do Lightscribe labels still has conflicts with IE8

johnincrete 07:23 18 May 2009

I am using 7 so I'll try 8 - I've got more time than my daughter to try it and learn how to use it.

robin_x 10:45 18 May 2009

File Import Export to back up favourites.
Important if you have lots of them.

I upgraded IE6/IE7 to IE8. No problems, very happy. Lots of popup blocker/security options hidden away.
IE7 was a bit flaky on my system.
Uninstall takes you back to your previous version if problems.

XP home. SP3 here.

geedad 22:26 17 Jan 2010

I am using MS Windows XP Sp2, with Internet Explorer 6.
I have tried to update to I.E. 7, but to no avail.
Is it easier now to update to I.E. 7?
geedad?
geedad

Madrat 00:32 18 Jan 2010

I hated IE 8 but it came as standard with new netbook, after a while you get used to it just like IE7 I have not found any problems with it, but it might seam a bit slower the 7

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?