IE won't allow more than one instance

mkboy 03:04 19 Sep 2006

Here is a strange one but maybe someone has seen it before.

You can't seem to be able to open more than one instance of IE, any attempt to do so, and the new window opens, but the old one closes at the same time.

It does seem possible for an existing window to open a new pop-up window (if allowed to do so by the IE popup settings) but thats the only way to do it.

Now, the machine is an XP pro machine with McAfee antivirus, windows defender, and the windows firewall all active, plus it sits behind a NAT router. The virus scans come up with nothing and windows defender has not complained about anything yet.

Anybody seen this behaviour before?

Thanks in anticipation folks!

Faser 04:12 19 Sep 2006

As The Hitch Hikers Guide says, Don't panic! It's a setting that's changed. I can't remember the exact route, but I think it's under Tools, options & advanced. I'm sure somone using IE6 will correct me if wrong.

If you wish to easily have multiple web pages open I suggest you switch to IE7 (Beta)click here It's easy to use, your favourites are automatically transfered and best of all you get tabbed browsing! I have used it since the launch and find the latest version stable and error free.

mkboy 06:00 19 Sep 2006

Hmm I had a look in there and there doesn't seem to be anything obvious to tweak. I set all the settings back to default just to be sure and it still hasn't fixed it.

Maybe its something in the registry. Anyone?

VoG II 07:51 19 Sep 2006

click here possibly.

johnnyrocker 09:12 19 Sep 2006

if a recent occurrence how about system restore?

johnny.

terryf 09:33 19 Sep 2006

Try Firefox :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?