IE v 6.0 and Outlook ... oh so slow loading!

Charlie Babbage 14:57 11 Jan 2007

I'm on Virgin Net Broadband connection (unsure what speed but not more than 8 mbps) running Win XP Professional SP2. I have 2gig Intel Pentium 4 processor with 8 kb primary memory cache and 512 kb secondary cache. HD is 41.11 GB with 3.53 GB free space.

First problem is that when I click on IE or Outlook icon on desktop, it takes forever and a day for the app to actually load. I'm not sure if this could be due to the avast AV which is running at the same time in the background but that is all. So far as IE is concerned, the default page is click here which takes ages to load. If I then go to another page eg PCA that also takes a long time to load although it does seem to be a bit quicker the longer I'm on line and going from page to page.

So far as Outlook is concerned, the Outlook 2003 splash screen appears which is then overwritten by the avast logo. Just the bare outline of the Outlook rows and columns display before (eventually!) the actual messages are displayed.

I know that 'slow running' can be caused by many different things but if anyone could let me know which one to try first, that would be appreciated.

peabody 15:07 11 Jan 2007

It may or may not be avast, but I bet it's to do with some 3rd party app that is running (as a process). Do you use Ad-aware and/or Ad-watch, Spy-bot or anything like that? If so, try closing each suspect one at a time until you eliminate the culprit/culprits. I'd be very interested to know what you find out.

Jackcoms 15:08 11 Jan 2007

When did you last undertake some basic PC housekeeping?

Cleaning out the crap with click here

Running check disk

Defragging the HDD

Deleting all your cookies and temp internet files

Running full AV and anti-malware scans

Disabling, via msconfig, all the background processes and programs which you don't need

etc, etc

Charlie Babbage 15:08 15 Jan 2007

... many thanks!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone