I.E. UPGRADE - IT WONT ACCEPT I.E. 8

laptopdunce 11:07 21 Dec 2013

I am running i.e. on a windows vista laptop, (not usre which version of i.e. it is??) but on many website I keep getting a banner saying my i.e. browser is out of dat and to upgrade, even on the microsoft updater for ie.8 it goes through all the rigmarole of uploading but then ALWAYS on the last step comes up with a window saying "this machine does not accept i.e.8" - so how can I upgrade the i.e. browser? I dont know what it is running now, how do I find that out? and can I upgrade to a later version that i.e. 8 on this vista laptop? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

iscanut 11:16 21 Dec 2013

Try missing out version 8 and go for IE 9, which is the last version you can load for Vista.

click here

laptopdunce 17:15 21 Dec 2013

it is I.E. 7 I am running and I clicked on the download for I.E. 9 and then it came up that the service pack is not supported, I clicked on the link it recommended but I havent a CLUE what I should do now, WHY OH WHY ARE THESE THINGS SO GODDAMNED COMPLICATED!!!? this is all engineered to be TOTALLY INCOMPREHENSIBLE to "average" people!! I just havnet a CLUE what to do!! laptopdunce

rdave13 18:48 21 Dec 2013

Check windows update.

Jollyjohn 20:00 21 Dec 2013

What happened to your W7 laptop we sorted out with????

As posted by Jock1e and rdave13 - check updates and ensure all updates are applied.

Download ie9 for vista on another pc and transfer to usb stick if applying updates does not work.

laptopdunce 20:41 21 Dec 2013

this is all very complicated, I am using google chrome browser on this the Asus vista laptop that has i.e. 7 on it, I dont know what service pack it is running on the i.e. 7 but there umpteen links on the microsoft download for the i.e. 9 download, its just UNBELIEVABLY complicated, these things should be designed that downloading a new version the smae browser should automatically REPLACE all the supplementary things that make these browsers work, I am getting so SICK TO DEATH of i.e. (I even use Google chrome mainly now on my Dutch and German laptops) I'm not really a dunce, I have 3 Nationalities and have computers in 4 countries but this rigmarole is just IMPOSSIBLE!!! thanks laptopdunce

laptopdunce 20:47 21 Dec 2013

PS: have just looked at "system" in control panel and it DOES show that this vista computer is using service pack 1, there is even a link highlighted for "upgrade microsoft browser" but AGAIN all I get on it is the upgrade page for i.e. 8 (which doesnt work on this computer) SURELY if they want you to upgrade they should make it that the previous service pack is AUTOMATICALLY upgraded along with the browser - its seems to me that this is an IDIOTIC way to sell computers!! you wouldnt market a car and then say "upgrade it with a steering wheel" and then make it IMPOSSIBLE to find the steering wheel that fits the car!!! - would you?? Laptopdunce

lotvic 21:04 21 Dec 2013

how to install Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (SP2) click here

rdave13 21:30 21 Dec 2013

laptopdunce before you check out lotvic 's link, Windows update makes all these things automatic. What software you install and what tags along is your responsibility. Is you'r Vista 'clean'? Have you run the system file checker, have you run checkdisk? Do you maintain your system? Have you checked what updates have failed, do you back-up?

rdave13 21:33 21 Dec 2013

On the comparison of a car, do you check the oil? Do you check the water and antifreeze (if compatible), do you check the break fluid, tyre pressures........

lotvic 21:39 21 Dec 2013

rdave13, my link is to microsoft's How~To, and the download details for Vista's SP2.

Internet Explorer 8 will be installed when Vista's SP2 is installed as it is contained in SP2 (it's part of it).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?