IE settings bugging me now...

daba 01:14 05 Jun 2006

IE settings keeps reverting to "Use a Proxy Server". No matter what I do this keeps on coming back to haunt me.

See my reply to an earlier thread...

click here

But this is happening more frequently now, and whilst it doesn't cause a problem on most WWW sites, some give the "this page cannot be found" error message. I then clear the offending setting, and the web page loads OK.

I have recently upgraded to W2K from W98SE, and although the problem seems worse, I am using the internet more than I used to, on balance it happens about the same regularity.

When I get page-loading errors I just look at the internet settings options and often the "use a proxy server" is checked again. I clear it, and retry the page OK.

Does anyone know why this setting persists and recurs, is there a registry setting for "auto-select" or whatever.

I use a LAN router (D-Link DSL-G604T) to connect to the web, my son's PC is via the wireless link on this router.

Perhaps I AM using a proxy server, and the setting should be "use a...", but that then cuts off some pages.

OK so now I sound confused -'cos I am....

Help please

Taff™ 06:53 05 Jun 2006

Did you try VoG`s link to Winsockfix? That is the most likely answer. Who is your ISP by the way?

daba 00:33 06 Jun 2006

looked at VoG's link, but seems XP related - I'm on W2K.

anyway it seems like its a "fix" to run when the problem occurs, rather than a permanent cure.

.."and after running the utility and rebooting, the connectivity was restored.."

I can 'fix' my problem by going to Tools->Internet Options->Connections[Lan Settings], then uncheck the "Use a Proxy Server" boz, click Apply or OK, there is no need to reboot.

But at random times I get the box checked again, and I don't know how or why. I know to check when there's a 1 to 2 second delay before a new page opens, or I get the "this page cannot be displayed" error message.

I can't see as it's an ISP problem, they can't change my IE settings remotely, but I'm on Tiscali

brundle 00:46 06 Jun 2006

Do you use any web-filter or ad-blocking software and what anti-virus program are you running?

Taff™ 06:27 06 Jun 2006

What is the address of the proxy server that it gets changed to? I suspect there`s a Tiscali Connection Manager at work here and yes it can change your IE settings.

Have a look at your Hosts file. click here for a free utility that will help you do that and restore it, then lock it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone