I.E. problem opens 2 conflicting windows

AB's 06:26 24 May 2008

im trying to help a friend fix his laptop, the problem started after reinstaling win xp home, now whenever he opens I.E. two browsers windows open, one has his home page on (though it takes an age to load) the other is just blank, the bigger problem is though that they keep changing and if you try to click on one of the open windows the other window opens on top of it also they take ages to fully load the whole page i.e. only half the top bar is shown sometimes taking about 5 minutes. ive tried installing a different browser and this had none of the above problems and loaded straight away.

Technotiger 08:29 24 May 2008

Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing IE?

sinbads 08:32 24 May 2008

If IE7 select tools /properties/advanced and select reset this will disable addons etc which often cause problems you can ofcourse enable them again if you wish,

AB's 10:42 25 May 2008

ok thanx i will try it, and get back to you if i need any further assistance.

skidzy 10:53 25 May 2008

Sounds like you have been hijacked.
Run your anti's. To start with click here free version,update and run in safemode.

Also if the page is :aboutblank click here

skidzy 10:56 25 May 2008

For reference and and a few apps click here

AB's 17:10 30 May 2008

tried the add on disabling, that didnt work, the strange thing is its now happened on my comp AND my daughters... i wonder could it be something to do with ms updates as ive run a full scan on my comp using Asquared antimalware, avg8 and spysweeper and spybot s&d but theyve found nothing serious????

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?