IE opening new windows oddly

staples printer cartridge 12:01 02 Apr 2006

Over the last few days, when in IE (latest version), when I navigate to a new page it opens the new page showing only at half screen (top half) and the back button does not appear (it is greyed out). This is not like opening a link which opens a new separate window (ie giving multiple windows) - I know they don't have a functioning back button as they have nowhere to go back to. It happens randomly too - any ideas anyone?

VoG II 12:04 02 Apr 2006

You could try click here

johnnyrocker 12:04 02 Apr 2006

new second pages will not open with a back button. what os have you? have you run spyware checks?

johnny.

staples printer cartridge 12:21 02 Apr 2006

Yeah I know a second page won't open with a back button, but this happens when I don't have multiple windows, ie it navigates to the next page and closes the first. I am running XP and run Ad-Aware,Spybot and SpywareBalster quite regularly. Will try and run them now just in case.
Ian

johnnyrocker 12:24 02 Apr 2006

if xp and you have the disk run sfc /scannow to repair explorer.

johnny.

staples printer cartridge 19:04 08 Apr 2006

How do I do this? I tried to type in scannow in the run box from the strat menu and a black screen flicked briefly on but then nothing. I cannot open multiple windows now.

VoG II 19:21 08 Apr 2006
  staples printer cartridge 19:46 08 Apr 2006

Thanks, tired it but same problem. It ran but did not report anyproblems or say it had done anything. Will I need to reboot?

terryf 20:46 08 Apr 2006

If all else fails use firefox

terryf 20:48 08 Apr 2006

Do a forum search for repair OE, I think VoG posted a link to it

VoG II 20:49 08 Apr 2006

Or try running a repair of IE click here using the alternate fix for XP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?