IE & OE 5

cottager 21:35 12 Jan 2003
  cottager 21:35 12 Jan 2003

When clicking on a contact us link on web pages normally an email box opens to enable a message to be sent however the last time I did this an error message came up instead. The error message reads:- Windows cannot find msimn.exe. This program is needed for opening files of type 'URL:MailToprotocol'. When clicking on the ok button another message pops up saying that the default mail client is not properly installed.
Your assisance/advice please
cottager

jazzypop 22:15 12 Jan 2003

Outlook Express has becom ecorrupted - try the advice at click here , also try the repair option for IE in Control Panel > Add / Remove Programs (click IE and add/remove and then repair).

Norseman 23:21 12 Jan 2003

You don't specify what OS and IE you are using.
Try downloading OPERA browser and run that to see if you still get the same problem.
Or download an upgrade for IE.
If that brings up the same problem go to your Windows installation disc and get a new copy of the file.

cottager 20:02 13 Jan 2003

Jazzypop, thanks for replying. I tried the repair option as you suggested and still no luck.
Norseman, thank you for replying. My OS is win 98 [on a recovery disk!] and in my thread heading I said IE 5. I haven't been tempted to upgrade to IE 6 as the jury still seems to be out on it's efficacy especially as there seems to be many confliction problems judging from what various people say.
I shall have to install Opera as suggested by Norseman or go looking for an upgrade to 5.5

Cheers Cottager

VoG™ 21:55 13 Jan 2003

Try this - it should repair OE as well as IE.

click here

Stuartli 23:45 13 Jan 2003

Never had any problem with OE6 since the day it was launched (or earlier versions).

Main thing is to ensure you download all the security patches etc from the MS OE home page or from WindowsUpdate.

cottager 23:33 14 Jan 2003

VoG™, I have tried that route twice and tried the
return to previous installation but still no good. I shall have to do a clean re-install or install IE 6.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?