IE Hijack?

bamfiesler 23:55 16 Oct 2004

This is becoming a habit.

I reckon someone dropped something on my PC that re-directs my browser (IE) to a fake site, where I am asked to enter personal details. I think they've made a registry change, but I don't know what I'm looking for; AVG/Spybot/HiJackThis.CWShredder/A2 haven't spied anything, and sysrestore is off.

Any ideas?

SANTOS7 23:57 16 Oct 2004

No idea, if you don't tell us what it is or which site

VoG II 00:00 17 Oct 2004

Yep, what fake site?

bamfiesler 00:02 17 Oct 2004

Basically, every time I try sign in to Ebay, I am taken to a page that looks authentic, but I now know that it isn't. I can't sign in from there, and even when I get kosher e-mail back from Ebay, the link they are asking me to jump to is a spoof!

I could kill the f****r that's done this!

VoG II 00:04 17 Oct 2004
  SANTOS7 00:09 17 Oct 2004

There is referance to this on page 24 of saturdays Daily star but not much on what you can do about it, but i think common sence must prevail and the best thing to do at the moment is avoid ebay until they come up with a solution as they are fully aware of what is going on

bamfiesler 00:11 17 Oct 2004

VoG

I've sent them several, the last one was to suspend the account. I am convinced the problem is with my machine; is there any tool I can use which would spot a Registry change, and where in that chain should I be looking?

I am off to my kip now, so I won't be around to answer an qs, but pl post any help, and thank you all.
Bamf

Stirkius 00:28 17 Oct 2004

Try downloading Hijack This - a free program that will get rid of your problem...

bamfiesler 09:10 17 Oct 2004

Hijack this finds nothing that I can see which is causing this.

mark2 12:18 17 Oct 2004

Check in your hosts file, it's probably being redirected from there

bamfiesler 12:29 17 Oct 2004

Mark2,

'Hosts files; sorry, what and where are they??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone