IE crashing, Runtime Error & Chrome taking an age to start

bear73 11:51 18 Jun 2014

Hi, hoping someone can help with some niggling problems on my desktop pc.

PC is a HP Pavilion TouchSmart 23-f260ea All-in-One Desktop PC. Bought only 9 months ago. Its running Windows 8.

When shutting down the machine I often get this message pop up. Not every time but at least 2-3 times per week.

**Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Runtime Error! Program: C:WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the applications support team for more information.**

I always used to use IE but i find it crashes all the time on me. I'm in the middle of something and I get the "internet explorer has stopped working" box appear. I removed all add ons and re installed and it was fine for a bit but then its started again.

So, I now use Chrome, which is fine, apart form the fact I can not get straight on it when turning on my pc or rebooting from sleep mode. If I click Chrome I get a blank screen which says something like downloading from proxy server in the bottom left. Its stays like this for ages! so i revert to IE and a while later I try Chrome and it's fine. It's like it needs 30 mins or so to boot up each time before it can be used. I've tried re installing but its still the same. All my windows updates are up to date.

Any help with any of these things would be greatly received.

Thanks

bear73 16:25 19 Jun 2014

Hi

Thanks, we connect to a network point through a Ethernet cable. Checked the IE settings and they were all as you suggested. I'll run Malwarebytes and see if that helps.

Thanks

rdave13 16:41 19 Jun 2014

Could be a security software application that's causing this. Had a beta version of a trial software that caused this for me. Not Malwarebytes though.

What security software do you use and does this happen in safe mode?

bear73 15:40 20 Jun 2014

Hi

Haven't tried in safe mode. Only software I use, other than what was loaded on to the pc with Windows 8, is Avast anti virus & malwarebytes.

The Chrome issue seems to have stopped since I did a System File checker and it looked liked it repaired some files. Since then I haven't had the slow start from Chrome or the message when shutting down. Fingers crossed.

Thanks

bear73 14:42 24 Jun 2014

Hi, no exclamations in device manager, settings all as you said in Internet options.

It seemed ok for a couple of days and it's now back to its old tricks. Have had the runtime message once on shut down and Chrome will just say "downloading proxy server" in the bottom left corner for ages.

Any other thoughts? Thanks.

bear73 14:43 24 Jun 2014

Sorry that should read "Downloading proxy script"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?