IE can't find page AOL can

The BB 22:17 23 Nov 2004

Using AOL and type in www-dot-belkin-dot-co-dot-uk (with dots for -dot- but don't want hyperlinks in the q) and get the page.
Do it in IE6 SP1 (on W2K fully up to date) and get click here We can't find "www-dot-belkin-dot-co-dot-uk" and do you intend a similar address "www-dot-belkin-dot-co-dot-uk"

Any ideas?

Other than this one I think all the other URLs can be accessed either by IE or AOL - but I haven't tried them all ;)

Could say it's driving me dotty

VoG II 23:05 23 Nov 2004

You are being referred.

Look for a file called hosts (no file extension). It would be in C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

Rename it to hosts.txt then restart and hopefully fixed.

The BB 19:48 25 Nov 2004

VoG, tried that but no go. Using W2K so c:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc and only had 127.0.0.1 so inoccuous any way. lmhosts is also only comment and no other hosts files on the machine.

It appears to only be that URL, though I can access it from within the AOL environment and everything else seems OK and it's behaving this way on both my machines.

As a side issue would AOL not use the hosts too?

anchor 10:19 27 Nov 2004

I had no problem loading the Belkin page you refer to with IE6, SP1.

click here

The BB 17:35 28 Nov 2004

Can load it fine within AOL, and from my works laptop with IE6, but can't do it from either home PC (both W2K boxes on AOL dialup - modem each box).
Restored the hosts file, but same deal.
Any ideas?

The BB 19:10 07 Dec 2004

Now got broadband and still the same. Fine in AOL but not from IE (fully up to date W2K).
Any ideas?

johnnyrocker 19:28 07 Dec 2004

no probs here have you cleared out cookies and run some anti spyware?

johnny.

The BB 19:35 07 Dec 2004

Yep. HJT has clean bill, ad-aware, spy-bot, running ZoneAlarm with no abnormal alerts and Norton AV. Cleared cache, history and cookies but still problems with the Belkin site, though I know the page is OK, it's just something to do with IE ... but what??

Valvegrid 19:54 07 Dec 2004

When I type www . belkin .co .uk it refers me to www. belkin .com /uk/ (without the spaces)

If you go to www. belkin .com and in the site select the United Kingdom it directs me to the UK web page as above.

As I don't use IE, is there a setting that allows or blocks re-directions? Maybe someone can answer.

The BB 20:08 07 Dec 2004

Valvegrid
No setting that I know of - I'm hoping someone does!

Valvegrid 20:11 07 Dec 2004

OK, just a thought.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?