IE canot open pdfs.... Register problem..?

dkp 16:52 17 Nov 2008

I have a Tosh laptop, running Vista Home, and IE cannot open pdfs the way it used to....
I get a message: "The Adobe Acrobat/Reader that is running cannot be used to view pdf files in a web browser"
"Adobe Acrobat/Reader version 8 or 9 is required....."

I do have Adobe Rdr vers 9 loaded, and it works fine? I have told IE to use Adobe Reader to use pdfs in Internet Options, but it still has this problem!

I hope someone can help, it is stopping me work... :-(

Thanks in advance

Sea Urchin 17:37 17 Nov 2008

Try downloading Foxit PDF reader

click here

smokingbeagle 17:37 17 Nov 2008

Re-install Acrobat Reader or alternately download and try the free Foxit Reader.

smokingbeagle 17:38 17 Nov 2008

Snap

dkp 17:44 17 Nov 2008

thanks to the above.....

What is Foxit Reader, an add-on for IE? I have re-installed Adbobe Reader Vers 9 already. A friend said it might be a corrupt registry entry, but could not tell me how to check or rememdy it....

Thanks...............

dkp 17:51 17 Nov 2008

... I should have made it obvious, I have to use IE to open these pdfs, I am using a web based app that only lets me use IE to see pdfs.... :-(

Sea Urchin 17:55 17 Nov 2008

Foxit is a PDF reader - in my opinion better than Adobe. You still open the file with IE as before, but make Foxit your default.

dkp 18:01 17 Nov 2008

Thanks, you have saved me....!! I love this forum :-)

I get the same error message, but then the pdf downloads and opens up under IE.....I guess using Foxit....?

Cheers....

Sea Urchin 18:08 17 Nov 2008

If you are still getting the message about Adobe just open Foxit, and look at the Help menu - and the top item should be Set to Default PDF Reader. If it is NOT ticked then click it to make Foxit the default.

Glad you're now able to open your files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?