IE 8 Intermittent Start-up Issue

provider 2 12:24 18 Feb 2010

Sometimes, but not always, IE 8 starts, loads, then hangs ... `IE not responding message`, but no report in Event Viewer that I can see.

Shut down/ restart comes up with the IE closed unexpectedly message and the options go back to previous session or go to home page, after which normal service is resumed.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Ventad 12:27 18 Feb 2010

Try Tools/Internet options/Advanced tab/and at the bottom press 'reset'Internet Explorer settings

provider 2 12:31 18 Feb 2010

... but I don`t want to reset everything, just to fix this one insolated malfunction.

Everthing else is working fine and I would prefer not to change it.

Ventad 12:38 18 Feb 2010

I have done it several times when I have had the same problem you have, it doesn't change too much. Probally depends on how much you change it from the default

birdface 12:42 18 Feb 2010

Have you tried ipconfig /flushdns in command prompt.

provider 2 12:46 18 Feb 2010

Yes, I`m sure you`re right and I don`t think mine is substantilly changed, or perhaps more accurately, I can`t remember excactly what I`ve changed and what I`ve left on default.

It`s just an irritation that it sometimes happens for no apparent reason and I can`t fathom out what`s wrong with it.

birdface 12:47 18 Feb 2010

IE closed unexpectedly message and the options go back to previous session or go to home page, after which normal service is resumed.
I get that every time I open IE8 after a reboot.its a bit annoying but can only find one fix for it which works but may lead to further complications if you have trouble with your computer.

IE8 - Tools - Internet Options - Advanced - Browsing - uncheck the Crash Recovery feature.
That stops the box from appearing all of the time but of course not a proper fix.

provider 2 12:50 18 Feb 2010

No , I haven`t tried that but will give it a go and see what happens.

The only thing is, I run Ccleaner prior to every shut down and it now has "Flush DNS cache" which would do the same job anyway, wouldn`t it?

provider 2 12:55 18 Feb 2010

"Uncheck crash recovery" sounds promising, but as you say, not a proper fix.

Is it a bug in IE 8, then? I use Firefox most of the time but it offers crash recovery only after there has been a crash.

birdface 13:06 18 Feb 2010

Not sure what the problem is but I started getting it about the same time as all of the Microsoft updates so not sure if it was that or not.
Have you downloaded the latest flash update from last week.

sunnystaines 13:27 18 Feb 2010

I get exactly the same occasionally but on w7 only and not XP.

could not solve it, when it does happen i close ie8 with task manager and restart, i suspected it was linked to superantispyware but as it is not frequent its hard to eliminate software.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017