IE 7 update not installing

Billawa 12:19 21 Dec 2006

I have had the automatic notification of the free update to version 7 of IE. Clicking on the icon starts the process of downloading, validating my Windows XP and then says it is installing the update. All proceeds normally but eventually it tells me that IE 7 could not be installed.

I have gone to the MS site and tried to update it from there with the same result. The notification icon remains in the tray but all efforts end up at the same point "could not be installed". I use Firefox and Thunderbird as my browser and e-mail programmes but even using IE and OE the same result is obtained. Having got a "nil" result the computer then tells me that I have to restart to install the update. Yes, you've guessed it......!

Any thoughts or suggestions as I would like to see what the new version is like and whether it is worth going back to it as the default programme.

anskyber 14:02 21 Dec 2006

click here Try the suggestions.

birdface 14:05 21 Dec 2006

Try uninstalling automatic update,Run C Cleaner.Re-boot computer.If you have any extra toolbars downloaded You have to delete or up-date them,Switch Your firewall + Antivirus off before you download IE7,Then try it,

Billawa 18:13 22 Dec 2006

No luck I'm afraid. Still getting the same message. AS this is officially classed as an upgrade I assume that if I uninstall version 6 I will not be able to get version 7. Am I right?

highside 18:29 22 Dec 2006

I have twice tried to install V7 with disastrous results, does anyone no if the IE V7 / NTL issue is still at large as I think that may be my problem?
Thanks

freaky 18:37 22 Dec 2006

IE7 is not an upgrade in the sense that it updates IE6.......it actually replaces it as the default browser. However if you don't like IE7, then you can remove it via add/remove programs and revert back to IE6.

The link supplied by anskyber should enable you to download it. Whatever you do DON'T uninstall IE6 otherwise you will no browser !

There is a possibility that your Firewall might be causing the IE7 installation to hang....suggest you try the method suggested in the link a second time. If no good then download again from Microsoft Updates, but disable your Firewall first.

freaky 18:46 22 Dec 2006

The problem with IE7 and NTL BB is because of incompatibility with NTL's Broadband Medic.

This is easily overcome by either uninstalling Broadband Medic, or changing the name of file "PSAPI.DLL" in the Broadband Medic folder to "PSAPI.DLL(old)".

I understand from NTL that they are working on a patch to fix the problem.

Billawa 16:12 23 Dec 2006

Problem solved! The culprit was Webroot Spysweeper which I had not shut down. This also caused my home page from Orange loading as well.

As I use Firefox and Thunderbird I wonder if Webroot is not compatible as all the references in their help section and the "shields" section refer only to IE. Although Webroot appears to be a good programme I will probably uninstall it and rely on Avast,Zone Alarm, AdAware, Spybot and Spyware Blaster. Probably, in my case, "Too many cooks....."

Thanks for your time and suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017