IE 7 Tabs stopped working

steve hill 11:26 25 Apr 2008

My IE 7 tabs have stopped working If I try to use a second tab IE locks and I have to use CLT ALT DEL to end task,. I have uninstalled and reintalled three time now to no avail.

steve hill 12:06 25 Apr 2008

have found the answer on another forum will post it here as may help others. I uninstalled windows live toolbar, all seems to be back to normal

Sea Urchin 12:07 25 Apr 2008

Make sure your Tab settings are correctly set up. Tools > Internet Options > General > in Tabs section click Settings > make sure Enable Tabbed Browsing is checked and also look at other settings further down.

Also, have you tried other options for opening Tabs?

To open a new blank tab, click the New Tab button on the tab row or press CTRL+T. To open a new tab when you follow a link on a webpage, press CTRL as you click the link, or right-click the link and then select Open in New Tab. If you have a mouse with a wheel, you can click a link with the wheel to open a new tab.

Sea Urchin 12:08 25 Apr 2008

Didn't see your post before submitting mine. Glad you got it sorted.

Buffy's mum 17:17 27 Apr 2008

Hi Steve
I have identical problem with Dell Dimension 8300, XP prof, IE7. As soon as I open another tab it just says 'connecting' and locks up. Main front tab is ok and I can carry on surfing and using that front tab, but can't close the internet without using ctrl/alt/del. I've check the settings are ok - they're fine. Can you tell me how to uninstall windows live toolbar and start again as I can't find the thread you said you'd post? Many thanks!

Sea Urchin 17:31 27 Apr 2008

This should help you

click here

Buffy's mum 17:34 27 Apr 2008

Hi Steve - thanks for this. How will I re-install then? Sorry - bit of a 'newbie' here!!

Buffy's mum 17:37 27 Apr 2008

Found it on same page - sorry! Will try it now!

Buffy's mum 12:15 28 Apr 2008

Just to let you know that the fix worked perfectly - many thanks for your help.

66GGG 16:30 14 May 2008

I uninstalled the windows live toolbar - which I rarely used anyway - and hey presto - tabs are working again, thank goodness!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?