IE 7 problem

harriss 20:28 24 Feb 2007

I am having trouble with Internet Explorer 7.0 since installing the following Microsoft Updates. Security updates for Windows XP –KB926436-KB928255-KB927779-KB927802-KB918118-KB924667-KB928843 and Update for Windows XP-KB931836. Service pack 2 installed.

With these updates installed, when I try to open IE it comes up “Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage – Microsoft Internet Explorer". Have carried out a System Restore to a date prior to installation of the updates and IE opens as it should, albeit it functions somewhat slower than it should and appears a little ‘jerky’.

Then when I close my PC down I get the usual message that updates are waiting for installation which means that when I next boot up my computer the updates are again installed and I then have a repeat of not being able to open IE. I have gone round this circle three times now each time with the same result i.e. no updates installed IE opens ok; updates installed IE cannot display the webpage (Google is my default home page). With or without the updates installed I have also noted that strange things happen with my system viz. windows don’t immediately close when clicking the close button but regularly close in fits and starts from top to bottom of the screen; mouse pointer freezes for a few seconds; task manger opens of it’s own accord. The hard disk also is very active as though it’s on steroids, very often even when I am not doing anything on the computer.

I have run antivirus checks (ZoneAlarm Firewall & antivirus installed), spyware checks (Spybot, Spyware Terminator, Windows Defender, Adaware installed) but nothing untoward has been detected.

It may be that I have two different problems but firstly I would like to resolve the IE situation. I don’t particularly wish to do without the updates as seven of them are security issues and whilst I could go through a trial and error process of removing the updates one at a time via Control Panel>Add Remove programmes, to try and ascertain whether it is only one of the security updates or the update to Windows XP itself, does anyone know of a quicker, easier way? Any help/advice gratefully received.

Technotiger 20:32 24 Feb 2007

Hi, if you have Automatic Updates turned on, turn it Off, see if that stops the reminders.

anskyber 20:39 24 Feb 2007

Firstly if you want to block IE7 for the future then this is what you want. click here

If you want IE7, and I would say it's worth a try for security and other reasons then we need to address you problems.

There are a range of simple things we can try, but we need to know what your wishes are for IE7.

anskyber 23:04 01 Mar 2007

Replying to a PM. The advice I gave was to block the IE7 download that I thought you were having trouble with.

The download I suggested will not disable automatic downloads but simply stop the IE7 download.

birdface 10:22 02 Mar 2007

I will go with Technotiger,Turn your automatic up-dates off,You will then be able to download the up-dates you want ,and cancell the rest.Unfortunately Microsoft are not to be trusted with some of the up-dates that they are providing,So downloading what you want and not what they want.

harriss 16:58 02 Mar 2007

Thanks everyone. Problem seems to have resolved itself. The seven security updates have re-installed (again) but not KB931836 - Update for Windows XP. IE opens ok so it must have been the Windows Update causing the problem. Will see how it goes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?