IE 7 new small window on Windows XPHome SP2

Creditman 18:46 13 Jan 2011

Recently a small window keeps appearing on top of whatever web page I am looking at.It has familiar wording "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" etc etc.It hides about 25% of r/h side of screen & just sits there when I go to a different web page. For example it is hiding part of this message so I cannot see all the message.I cant see how to get rid of it. I have no other problems with using IE7. Any ideas please ? Many thanks

GaT7 18:54 13 Jan 2011

Appears to be an unwanted pop-up? What happens if you use an alternative browser like Firefox click here?

Why aren't you using SP3 & IE8? Anyway I'd definitely recommend them & click here & click here to download & install.

If you don't like IE8 for some reason, install other security/recommended updates at least via click here. G

Creditman 14:59 15 Jan 2011

Thanks but I am well-protected against malware,spyware etc.

GaT7 15:14 15 Jan 2011

Hmm, if the box is some kind of pop-up that you cannot get rid of, you need to question your security / security programs.

You'll probably get the best advice for this sort of thing at a dedicated spyware/malware-related forum. For example click here. Instructions before posting click here. Do specifically let them know you're using SP2 & IE7.

For a start, you can do a quick DIY HijackThis (HT click here) analysis via click here. Do NOT manually remove anything 'suspect' on your own, but rather ask for help on one of those forums. All the best with it. G

P.S. More malware-related forums at click here (see left column), so you can choose whichever one you fancy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017