IE 7 and the new re-build

johnem 20:08 03 Mar 2007

Shortly, I am intending to have a major rebuild of the puter. New m'board, big dollop of ram and CPU, new PSU, new graphics card. I will be loading my trusty Windows XP Pro Sp2 onto the system. At what point should I install IE 7, before all of the relevant MS updates have been installed or after the system has been on the internet and upgraded?
When I last re-installed XP pro, I installed IE 7 more or less as soon as the system was activated. This may be cause for some of the strange internet problems and sometimes slow connections etc. But of course it could be something else. Have run McAffee and various anti spyware software and found nothing amiss.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

johnem 22:31 03 Mar 2007

Obviously a bit quite this evening.

megat193 22:38 03 Mar 2007

I have recently reverted to IE6. I found all sorts of problems with IE7 running slow, freezing, timing out etc. and that was with the 'fix'. I also use Firefox without problem, albeit I am not too happy with their way of dealing with .pdf links.

johnem 12:43 04 Mar 2007

Any further help please?

freaky 13:52 04 Mar 2007

Once the re-build is completed and XP Pro (SP2) is loaded. Then install your Firewall and AV then: -

a) Install all Windows updates but not IE7.
b) Once everything is functioning correctly, then you can install IE7.

If the IE7 does not function, or causes problems then revert back to IE6 and post the problem on here.

That is the method I would use, others may suggest differently.

Good luck!

johnem 14:41 04 Mar 2007

Thanks Freaky, that does seem to be a sensible approach. Last time I think I was too hasty with the IE 7 install.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?