IE 7 Beta Download

rawprawn 14:41 01 Feb 2006

If anybody is interested click here
Make a restore point before installing.

anskyber 14:53 01 Feb 2006
  rawprawn 15:33 01 Feb 2006

Thanks, I did a search but didn't find it in the forum. I tried it but uninstalled after only a short while. I will tick this as resolved.

gel 15:35 01 Feb 2006

Hello
Thank you for the info.rawprawn/anskyber
When you have down loaded IE 7 Beta would you care to contribute a comment on its attributes.
Is it any good ?Is it better than Internet Explorer 6 ?
Is it better than Firefox?
Are there any problems.
Does the down load simply update Internet Explorer 6 or is it a complete free standing browser.
I am sure a lot of folk will be interested.
Thanks
gel

Mr Mistoffelees 15:40 01 Feb 2006

I tried it earlier today and was not impressed. I will be sticking with Opera.

dms05 15:43 01 Feb 2006

I download form Microsoft click here

It's 11Mb. It takes what seems and age to install. On rebooting the IE icon has changed and clicking gives you IEv7.

On first starting it asks if you want to use a Phishing Filter that reports suspect sites to MS.

It then asks if you want to regionalise.

Finally you get to the new look. It has Tabs!

I'm using it now to post this comment but I'll be back to Opera v8.5 which does it all rather better and certainly quicker.

dms05 15:57 01 Feb 2006

Now back on Opera v8.5 click here and it is certainly quicker than IEv7 (but to be fair that could be because IEv7 has to build up a library of cookies etc). Firefox and Opera are similar in speed.

walesrob 16:22 01 Feb 2006

My first impressions are that it looks like a cross between Firefox and Opera.
Lots of new and useful features, for example thumbnail view of all open webpages, saving favourite websites just be dragging the title into the favourites folder and even RSS feeds! The tabs feature is good, and the one-click clear of browsing history is a fantastic idea. The anti-phish feature is useful as well.
The only criticism is the default setting of clear-type fonts - but this is easily changed, and the messy layout of toolbars and address bars.
As regards to whether its quicker than IE6, to be honest, seems to be the same.
Overall, thumbs up, but I'll be testing it a lot more yet. So far so good.

CurlyWhirly 17:09 01 Feb 2006

I also tried it out and I didn't like it much either and I am returning to Firefox.

rawprawn 17:14 01 Feb 2006

Just trying the new Opera (new to me) and I quite like it.

dms05 09:11 06 Feb 2006

I use Opera v8.5, but MS insist you use IE for downloading Windows Updates manually. Whilst doing that with IEv7 installed I tried to save a page under Favourites - IEv7 very kindly insisted on saving this in my Opera Bookmarks where I actually wanted it! Sure this isn't a MS 'feature' though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017