IE 7

Jackcoms 08:13 14 Nov 2006

Internet Explorer 7 automatically downloaded to my PC from Microsoft last night.

At this stage, I've chosen NOT to install it because I'm still seeing mixed reviews/experiences in these Forums.

Can somebody tell me how (or if) it will improve my browsing 'experience' and what, exactly, is this 'tabbed' browsing in IE7 which I keep hearing about?

Technotiger 08:25 14 Nov 2006

Hi, I have tried IE7 and I like it - but - I am on BT broadband and although I believe it can be sorted, I have not yet done so, just lazy. It seems there is a slight problem with BT and NTL which apparently is not the fault of IE7. I will get round to sorting it on my pc eventually. In the meantime I am sticking with IE6.

I like the Tabbed browsing - if you imagine something like an address book which has tabs for all the different Initials to make finding your addresses easily, then that is what tabbed browsing is like. You can set up your own tabs each of which have a different web-site, and you can just skip between them at will, without having to type-in url's each time.

I hope that makes sense!

Cheers.

Taff™ 08:28 14 Nov 2006

Have you read the review in the magazine? Good place to start!

IE7 is by far better than IE6. You can get rid of all those browser toolbars for one and select different search engines at the click of a button for your search term.

Tabbed browsing allows you to have several home pages that start automatically within the same window. You can then change to different web pages by clicking on the next tab. IE7 also solves the problem of printing web pages and the list of improvements goes on .....

Go for it.

BenAustin2000 08:29 14 Nov 2006

I am NTL and have had no problems! I find it a bit anoying there is no drop down option for favourites but you can retrieve this by right clicking under address bar and selecting "menu bar" but it remains under the address bar which i do not like! apart from that all good

ventanas 08:38 14 Nov 2006

To put the menu bar back at the top (where it belongs) click here

rawprawn 09:12 14 Nov 2006

Thanks for that John, it's much better up where it should be.

Craig, go for it. I really do think it is a great improvement on IE6

anskyber 09:12 14 Nov 2006

The issue that Technotiger mentioned is the following, its a failure by BT and others to ensure IE7 compliance but there is an answer.

BT and some NTL or Blueyonder broadband users have experienced error message like "SmartBridge Alerts:-Alert BT Help Notifier.exe (or MotiveSB.exe for NTL or IST for Blueyonder) Entry Point Not Found The procedure entry point GetProcessImageFileNameW could not be located in the dynamic link library PSAPI.DLL"

This relates to the BT ( NTL, Blueyonder) desktop helper. The simplest way to deal with it is to uninstall it if you do not use it or take it out of your start up list. The program name will be something like Motive Communications or Motive SB.

Alternatively, 1. Navigate to the installation location for SmartBridge via My Computer (\Program Files\Alert BT Help Notifier.exe (or Motive SBexe. for NTL or IST\SmartBridge for Blueyonder)
2. Find PSAPI.DLL and rename it to something like PSAPIOLD.DLL
3. Reboot the system

The program will find the new PSAPI.DLL in the \Windows\System32 directory and function normally.

To disable a start up program click here
Or, if you have Spybot Search and Destroy use their start up control tool.

anskyber 09:15 14 Nov 2006

The only other bit of advice is if you have anu add ins like toolbars (Google eg) then get the latest version for IE7. There have been issues with older toolbars. If that is a problem, try temporarily disabling the toolbar and try again.
To disable a toolbar open Internet Explorer 7, follow these steps:

In Windows, click the Start button.
Click All Programs.
Click Accessories.
Click System Tools and then click Internet Explorer (No add-ons).
Once you determine the toolbar causing the issue, you should uninstall the toolbar through Add or Remove Programs in Windows Control Panel and then check the toolbar’s website for an updated version.

Jackcoms 12:48 14 Nov 2006

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll keep the thread open for a while longer - still not completely convinced!

Technotiger 21:13 14 Nov 2006

Hi, I am now re-trying IE7, having first uninstalled my Google bar. So far, seems ok.

I am on BT BB, XP Home SP2.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Cheers.

johnem 22:08 14 Nov 2006

I obviously must have not set IE 7 up correctly, as I kept on receiving Error 403 indicating that I did not have permission to visit the page. Ended up reverting back to IE 6. Bur will be trying it again in the future as I liked the way it worked. Noticed that it was slower finding various web sites, but appeared to be faster opening the page once it had found it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?