IE 6 will not now open

swapper 06:57 24 Oct 2005

WinXP HE 2SE

Can I uninstall and reinstall IE6,if so how?
It was working fine, and then suddenly I now cannot access via the desktop icon.

To get on line now, I open Outlook express, close it, click on the IE explorer desktop icon, and it opens fine.

I have used sfc /scannow, and a fixit file, IEFix v 1.5, but still no luck any ideas pse?

TIA

(I have tried Firefox, but returned to IE).

Taff36 07:08 24 Oct 2005

Can you access it from the Start Menu? If so delete the desktop icon and drag the IE shortcut off the Start menu onto the desktop. A new shortcut will be placed there.

Taff36 07:41 24 Oct 2005

Can you access it from the Start Menu? If so delete the desktop icon and drag the IE shortcut off the Start menu onto the desktop. A new shortcut will be placed there.

MAJ 07:59 24 Oct 2005

Go to the C:\WINDOWS\inf folder and locate the "ie.inf" file. Right-click on the ie.inf and choose "Install" from the context menu. That should repair IE.

swapper 10:22 24 Oct 2005

Taff36, when I click on that I still get Page unavailable?
MAJ, cannot fine ie.inf, what I can see is ieuninst? is that the uninstaller for IE do you think?
If it is I could uninstall/reinstall?

splork 10:41 24 Oct 2005

click here
This is a sledgehammer approach, but useful as a last resort. Make sure you have an alternative browser installed, or a recent ISP CD with IE6 on it to get it re-installed.

swapper 11:08 24 Oct 2005

splork, thanks for that but it does say not for use with XP?

splork 11:15 24 Oct 2005

Indeed it does, my mistake. I will say that I used it on a Windows 2000 system recently though and it didn't cause any problems after a re-install, but that particular system was very lean, so it didn't `break` anything.

splork 11:25 24 Oct 2005

I take it if you navigate to \Program Files\Internet Explorer\ and run iexplore.exe it still doesn't work?

swapper 12:02 24 Oct 2005

splork.
yes, I did navigate to \Program Files\Internet Explorer\ and run iexplore.exe it still doesn't work?

splork 12:08 24 Oct 2005

Any error messages? Or just no response?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?