IE 6 error

Drum 13:37 10 May 2009

I am running XP home and IE 6 which I like and don't want to upgrade to seven or eight. Since October last year I've been constantly getting problems with Internet explorer which throws up a box when I close it which says that Internet Explorer needs to close, we are sorry for the inconvenience etc. The problem is just this annoying box, as Internet Explorer appears to work okay.
I've done some research on this on the Web, and I gather I have a corrupt IEXPLORE.exe file.

I have run SFC and been through the repair suggestions shown here.. support.microsoft.com/kb/318378 , but when I right click on the ie.inf file to install, a box appears to say that the file IEXPLORE.EXE on windows XP Home edition service pack 2 CD is needed. Type the path where the file is located and then click okay.

The one already in the box to copy from is C:\Windows\inf\i386 , but clicking okay to this would appear to do nothing, as after reboot the error is still there.

I have hunted to find just this file to download from Microsoft but been unsuccessful, what should I do?

Pineman100 15:39 10 May 2009

Have you tried an IE reset? It might work.

It's a long time since I used IE6, but on IE7 the reset button can be found at Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab.

Before you try it, however, please pay particular attention to the list of things that you will lose when you reset IE - add-ons, temporary internet files, etc. I seem to remember that it also deletes your favourites, so it's best to save them somewhere safe.

Obviously you need to decide whether these losses are tolerable.

Drum 12:23 11 May 2009

Thanks for your input but there doesn't appear to be a reset facility.

brundle 12:27 11 May 2009

Are you actually running SP2?
Get 7zip click here , get the Service Pack 2 standalone download click here , extract the whole thing using 7zip, find the IExplore.ex_ file in the SP2/I386 folder.

Drum 12:35 11 May 2009

I have xp with SP2 pre-installed, so yes I am running it.
What file size would 7ZIP make the SP2 download, as it seems excessive that I have to get the full massive download in order to extract this tiny file.

brundle 12:40 11 May 2009

266mb download. Doesn't sound like a corrupt IE6 file to me anyway, it's only a few hundred kb and lots of other libraries and files are involved, it's more likely to be one of those. Running SFC without the correct service pack installation files available will very often result in the problems you're having but multiple times, for different files. You can get IE6 as a standalone download, which will be about 30-40mb and you could try just installing over the top of what you have or extracting that with 7zip to find the file instead. click here

Drum 16:43 11 May 2009

Thanks for the link Brundle, but I'm just wondering how pertinent this is.

It eventually says " Internet Explorer 6 SP1, the latest version of Internet Explorer for users not running Windows XP," ....... note the word "not" and then goes on to give you a download for IE7 which is exactly what I don't want and I am running Windows XP, so I'm confused. It also includes improvements for Outlook express, which is working fine.

brundle 19:39 11 May 2009

"Internet Explorer 6 has been updated as part of Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 is now available. For more information on downloading Internet Explorer 7, please read the Overview section. Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 is recommended for systems running versions of Windows prior to Windows XP."

The download is compatible with XP, but MS would rather you use a more up to date version of Internet Explorer.

Internet Explorer and Outlook Express share lots of files, re-installing won't affect the operation of OE.

brundle 19:39 11 May 2009

Here for the IE6 download; click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?