IE 6 "Cannot find Server"

Belfix 21:55 17 Nov 2006

Hi everyone
My son has a new laptop and he has signed up to Tiscalli BB. He has just emailed me with the problem below. Normally I can help him but I can't remember this one and I'm not near enough to get hands-on...

"For some reason every time i try and go to any web site it tells me it cannot find server. I can connect perfectly and go into my emails (OE), but not Internet Explorer, HELP!"

Can you help on this?

Technotiger 22:05 17 Nov 2006

Hi, sometimes simply pressing F6 (doing a re-fresh) cures this problem.

Hope it is as simple as that.

Cheers.

birdface 00:22 18 Nov 2006

I take it he can get into msn and other programs, Is it just Internet explorer he cant get into.1st Make sure IE is in add remove,You can try, Start, Set program access and defaults, Custom,internet explorer.Make sure square is ticked Enable access to this program, Or try Control Panel.Internet Options,Programs,Half way down it should say Internet Explorer Is main default browser,And little box should be ticked, tell me if internet explorer is not the default web browser,Give you something to start with at least,

birdface 00:39 18 Nov 2006

Dont know how easy this is, But you can use Remote Assistance, Where you can use your computer to help fix your sons, Start, help + Support,Invite a friend to connect to your computer,Like I say I have never tried it , But my nephew did it with my computer,

Jak_1 01:43 18 Nov 2006

When did the problem first start?
There was a major problem affecting all isp's on Tuesday and wednesday that affected web pages but not email. Connecting to the isp was ok but there was a major problem with the dns server, the server that converts web addresses to their numeric addresses in order to connect. But as I said that was tues/wed so that should be resolved but Tiscalli may still be experiencing some outages.
The fact that you can connect to the isp and get email suggests that it is a server problem and a call to the tech desk may be in order to see if they do indeed have a problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?