ie 6 (again)

Kave 23:27 15 Sep 2003

I have downloaded ie6, when i tried to install it came up with "unable to complete install please run set up again" when i try to do this i get the message " previous install requires a reboot" and so a never ending circle starts. I am running win98. Also i now cannot click on a link on any page as all that happens is a blank page comes up.
There are also a lot of " page not available" messages when i try to access websites (such as google)
Have any of you wonderful people got any ideas ?

MichelleC 09:14 16 Sep 2003

Best start again. What options have you got in add/remove/ie/delete... can you revert to previous or repair?

tradedec 22:18 16 Sep 2003

Get a PC Advisor cover disk with I.E.6 on it.
Add/Remove old I.E. Then install new from disk.
If you are running Naviscope,, disable it when trying new I.E.6 and see if that works.

Kave 11:44 17 Sep 2003

MichellC,
I have tried both options but still no joy.
Tradec,
I cannot delete as it is not in Add/Remove progs.
As you can see, I am somewhat Baffled by it all, but thanks for your suggestions. (Any More ???)

Andsome 12:31 17 Sep 2003

An awful lot of people have problems with IE6 on Windows 98, I did when I ran 98, and had to revert to IE5.5. Some people have NO trouble at all. If you are getting trouble, it is best to revert to 5.5 or 5. Or try this.

click here

MichelleC 15:04 17 Sep 2003

To repair the Internet Explorer, you can always try the long way round? START/ PROGRAMS/ ACCESSORIES/ SYSTEM TOOLS/ SYSTEM INFORMATION/ TOOLS/ INTERNET EXPLORER REPAIR TOOL. Click the second item in the list.

But I agree with Andsome, 5.5 does work better with 98+ (and w2k in some cases).

SEASHANTY 15:30 17 Sep 2003

You could always purchase the November 2003 issue of
PC PRO magazine and install Mozilla version 1.4 from the cover disc.

Kave 09:38 20 Sep 2003

Thanks everybody, You are just great, It helps a "computer virgin" like myself to sort out problems that normally I would have to pay through the nose to have sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017