IE 5 continually shows 'cannot find server'

evanrob 19:26 19 Dec 2003

Have a dual partition hdd Win 98se and XP pro .on win 98se IE5 .when trying to access my ISP just tells me that 'this page is inaccessible ' yet if I open .shortcut to explorer' on my desktop then it seems to access O.K ,and I can send e-mail.. Can't think why this should happen its been fine for ages. By the way have hust installed IE6 from the PC Advisor disk but the same problem occurs.. Would greatly appreciate any help from you 'whiz -kids' evanrob

Big Elf 20:14 19 Dec 2003

I don't know but I found this click here and this click here

Are you absolutely sure that the URL is correct?

PcDummies 20:49 19 Dec 2003

That happened to me, your running the exact same programs that i am and i was able to access the net by using shortcut to windows explorer...

Have you been to any MP3 sites?! As i accidently downloaded a spybot which stopped me from viewing any sites, although i installed spyware it did not fully remove the program so i ended up doing a system restore and it works as good as new now...

Good luck!

Halmer 13:39 20 Dec 2003

by any chance installed then uninstalled version 6.0 before?

Stuartli 14:13 20 Dec 2003

It appears to be a Security and/or Privacy configuration matter.

If you check them and they are OK then try Proxomitron - it worked for me after I had the same problem and everything seemed to be perfectly in order.

Here's the Downloads link for it:

click here

If you do decide to try Proxomitron, follow the configuration instructions to the letter..:-)

Occasionally you might have to termprarily use the panel's bypass facility to fill in certain websites' field forms.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017