idiots guide to ics needed

snoresloudly 12:27 22 Apr 2003

I am running a home network consisting of 2 pcs both with windows ME installed. the host pc has got freeserve broadband installed (via usb)I have connected them with a staight cable connection. Both pcs can see each other and share files printers etc, the major problem I have now got is that i cannot get the client pc to share the internet connection. I have tried various proxy programmes including winproxy (which keeps crashing the system). I have tried uninstalling that and running windows ics programme but each time I try to connect on the host get dns errors. is ther anyone out there who can provide me with a totally idiot proof explanation of how to achieve this? all the network sites etc i have looked at seem to assume that you know what you are doing (which I blatantly do not)
All i need is a step by step walk through!!!

recap 13:10 22 Apr 2003

Connect all computers to your home Ethernet. Do not give computers an IP address, instead tell their TCP/IP software to obtain an IP address automatically. Give the routable IP address to your main computer. Next turn on your ICS charing. Then reboot all the computers except the one with the routable IP address.

To obtain the routable IP address open a command prompt and type in the following:

ipconfig /all

note the space after ipconfig.

snoresloudly 14:53 22 Apr 2003

thanks recap,
when you say give the routable address to the main pc, where does this go?.
does internet connection sharing have to be installed on both pc's i.e host&client? and what are the settings in the host pc internet explorer lan box?

snoresloudly 19:26 22 Apr 2003

Weel the good news it looks like I have acheived the impossible, both pc's connected and running the broadband connection!!!!!!!!! now all I have to do is load and configure zone alarm!! ah well perhaps another post another day???

thanks recap

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?