Idiot Here - Needs Educating!

The Earl Of Sabden 23:28 20 Jun 2004

Hi guy's

I want to wirelessly connect my laptop to my home PC for using the Internet on the laptop while sat in the garden.

Wireless/Network Virgin here so go gentle - it's my first time...

Does that mean that I HAVE to network the laptop to the PC, what gear/stuff/bits/parts do I need?

Does the PC have to be switched on in the house while I trawl the NET in the garden?

Help please.... Cheers chaps.... The Earl/

Forum Editor 23:40 20 Jun 2004

is as follows:

1. Buy a wireless router.

2. Then buy a wireless network adapter for your laptop. You can get both PCMCIA card types, or external USB types - both work just as well, but if your laptop is fairly new it may well have an internal wireless adapter already installed.

3. Buy a wireless adapter for the PC - again you can get USB external models, or an internal PCI card adapter with a little aerial that sticks out at the back of the computer.

4. Install everything - the router connects to the ADSL microfilter on your phone line. If you're using USB adapters it is essential to install the software before you connect the adapter.

That's it - you should find that the adapters find the router and connect as soon as you boot up the machines - although with some models you'll be asked to select a wireless network from a list of one. If you are, and you're asked if you want to connect, even though the network may not be secure, say 'yes'.

The big advantage that a router has over a wireless access point (which looks much the same) is that you don't need to have any one machine running before you can connect on the other one - the router is permanently online and broadcasting. Most current routers have their own ADSL modem built in, older ones need to be connected via a separate modem.

woodchip 23:46 20 Jun 2004
  The Earl Of Sabden 10:47 22 Jun 2004

Thanks guy's....

Will try that out this weekend.... EOS.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)