Identity Theft - Telephone Numbers?

douglas1973 22:01 14 Nov 2007

I help to run a Neighbourhood Watch Scheme in my village and recently I asked the village website webmaster to insert an article explaining the aims and objectives of the scheme to the readers. At the end of the article I listed the names and telephones numbers of the area coordinators and much to my surprise he omitted this vital information alleging that some of the coordinators objected to this. I know that the flavour of the day is Identity Theft but I cannot see how listing the name and telephone number of an individual is sufficient information to steal someone's identity. Am I correct? I should mention that the website does include the name, telephone number AND address of 9 Parish councillors!

MAJ 22:10 14 Nov 2007

Identity theft isn't necessarily achieved by retrieving one or two items of info from a website, but those pieces of info can be added to other pieces of info to form the larger picture that is someone's identity, so I can see how some people would be wary about having their name and phone number listed on a website.

lotvic 22:13 14 Nov 2007

I think you/the village webmaster would need permission from each person before you published their names and telephone numbers. They would not have to explain why if they said 'no'

I think it is something to do with the Data Act

DieSse 00:31 15 Nov 2007

If a name and telephone number leaves you open to identity theft - then identity thieves would only need a telephone directory - and that has addresses too!

Nevertheless - permission should always be sought before publishing such data anywhere.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?