Identifying Unknown Programs Running in Background

xtone 16:29 18 Jan 2006

I am running an elderly 500 MHz IBM Aptiva under Windows 98SE, with Norton System Works 2005. After booting up with all Start applications safely in the System Tray, the hard disk continues to whir frantically for some time and the hourglass icon appears frequently as I try to run applications. This occurs periodically throughout the session.
I have checked for viruses and spyware using Norton Anti-Virus, Zone Alarm and four spyware detectors and all declare the box clean. Norton, Zone Alarm and the lights on the router (into which the box is hard-wired) confirm nothing is being sent to the Internet.
How can I check what programs are running at any time? I suspect Norton itself might be the culprit, checking too frequently for viruses and malware. Any ideas?

wotbus@ 16:32 18 Jan 2006

Norton is extremely resource hungry. Most likely that's it.

Gongoozler 16:52 18 Jan 2006

If you really want to run Norton, then I think you should have as much RAM installed as Windows 98 can take and you can afford. I've found PC100 SDRAM quite cheaply on Ebay as people dismantle their old computers.

If you want to check what is loaded at Startuo, then click Start - Run, type in msconfig, select the Startup tab and note what is there. There are various online lists of the items you might find there (e.g. click here), but if you post the list here, we'll see what we can identify.

canard 23:22 18 Jan 2006

If you have a firewall check the traffic log and see if there's any unknown/unauthorized activity.

Skills 23:37 18 Jan 2006

You can also hit ctrl-alt-del and bring up the task manager to see whats running then google any that you arent sure of and/or post them here

woodchip 23:41 18 Jan 2006

You want to first turn off Norton System Tray, In Start\Run Type MSCONFIG go to Startup Tab to turn it of. I ham on the same setup as I type this a Win98se with System works, The only part that I use is Disc Doctor and Optimisation wizard for Defrag. The rest of the software is basically not needed. And if used can mess up your computer if you do not use it right

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?