Identifying Specky version

Useless 1 12:53 28 Jul 2008

Were the power packs the same for both versions of the old Specky? If not, how can I tell which version I have? I've got the duff power-pack which has UK 1400 on it. Does this help?

Thanks for reading this.

PalaeoBill 18:55 28 Jul 2008

Are you talking about the Sinclair Spectrum?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:10 28 Jul 2008

Both versions?

There were several versions
48k+
128k+2
etc.

which version do you need the power supply for?

Useless 1 19:31 28 Jul 2008

"Both versions?

There were several versions
48k+
128k+2
etc.

which version do you need the power supply for?"

Aha! Now you've caught me out Fruit Bat! I'm afraid I'm not sure which version it is, but I'd hoped the details on the power pack would have identified it for me. I put my name down for it as soon as I saw what Sinclair was launching, and didn't get delivery for something like 9 to 12 months as it was still being developed, so I presume it was the first version of whichever. I rather think it was the 128k, but I'm not 100% certain. The power pack has packed in and I'd like to replace it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:37 28 Jul 2008

click here

might help you identify the machine.

"I put my name down for it as soon as I saw what Sinclair was launching, and didn't get delivery for something like 9 to 12 months as it was still being developed"

sounds like the origiinal machine the ZX80

Useless 1 19:49 28 Jul 2008

"sounds like the origiinal machine the ZX80"

It's definitely the colour Spectrum and I've got tapes of lots of the published games and even programs I wrote myself. I'd really like to play around with the original machine -- for old times sake!

Useless 1 20:00 28 Jul 2008

Just noticed your hyperlink Fruit Bat, and you've confirmed that apparently the same power pack was used by both the 48k and 128k. My duff one is marked as stated in the article:

Power Supply: Part no. varies.
Input: 240V AC, 50Hz
Output: 9V DC, 1.4A

Which seems to indicate the same one was used by either. I seem to remember that the date 1982 came up on the screen, and I bought it by mail order. It soon broke down on me and I returned it -- it was replaced by a complete unnopened box with a new machine. The same thing happened with the replacement, but I was so attached to the new one that when that packed in I asked for it to be repaired, they did just that! All without any extra cost. In the end I had manuals galore as you can imagine -- all bar one passed on the the needy!

Thanks for your help!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:06 28 Jul 2008
  Useless 1 07:56 29 Jul 2008

Thanks for the link, Fruit Bat.

mad1234 09:03 29 Jul 2008

Useless 1 i hate to but in on your thread but what was sinclair launching?

Useless 1 13:50 29 Jul 2008

"Useless 1 i hate to but in on your thread but what was sinclair launching?"

It was the Spectrum, 'introducing us to an affordable colour computer' -- or words to that effect. I was itching to get my hands on one, but they had all kinds of problems in the design, which meant we punters had to lay out our money and WAIT! It seemed to take forever, though fortunately I had good friends who'd lend me the spares they had from time to time. (Not Sinclair ones though). It was a whole new and fascinating world for me!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache