Ideal CPU temperature

Fatboy415 09:25 14 Apr 2005

I have just built my new machine using the following main components (purchased from E-buyer)

· AMD (Winchester) Athlon 64bit 3200+ 939pin 512kb L2cache 90nm Retail Boxed Processor With 3 Year Warranty and Fan Included.

· Abit AV8-3RD Eye Skt 939 K8t800pro 8xAGP ATX Gigabit LAN, SATA150 RAID, IEEE1394, 6ch Audio, ìGuru USB2.0 Retail Box.

Reading the reviews of the processor on E-buyer people were praising how cool it ran at around 35ºC. Using the external ìGuru temperature sensor that came as part of the motherboard my CPU is reporting a temperature of between 45 - 50ºC. When I attached the supplied heat sink to the processor I only used the conductive tape that was there, I did not use any after market thermal grease.

My question is am I cooking the CPU, and is there somewhere that reports ideal CPU temperatures?

Thank you
Fatboy 415

Ironman556 10:15 14 Apr 2005

It varies quite a lot on the load you put on your PC. Your bios/temperature monitoring software will probably have a setting to shut down the PC if it overheats to save damaging the CPU (not always enabled by default so have a look) If you want to find your max temperature try running a fairly recent game with settings maxed.

Do the ebuyer people say if they used the stock heatsink/fan? My 2800XP idles at 35 ºC but only because I used a zalman heatsink and 80mm fan. I would expect greater temps if I used the stock cooler.

45 - 50ºC sounds reasonable though, but I have heard that the 64 bit cpu's run quite cool but I don't know what the average is.

Do you have sufficient case fans? I've found if mine are set too slow the cpu heats up a fair bit.

Fatboy415 12:38 14 Apr 2005

Ironman556

I have two 80mm's on the front, one on the side and one 120mm on the rear.

I shall have a long look on the AMD web site just to make sure.

Thank you for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?