Ideal cd burning speed.

futurekid 21:20 27 Jul 2006

HI,
can some one please tell me what the ideal burning speed is for a iso image. It is just that recently nothing has been burning to disks on anything and half the time it sounds like it will blow up. It writes at 32x is this too fast?

If it is what is the ideal burning speed,

Thanks

Ben Greenslade

dazwm 22:59 27 Jul 2006

General rule of thumb is the slower the better! You are not in any great rush to burn are you?

Devil Fish 23:59 27 Jul 2006

if it sounds like it going to blow chances are it may have done 32 speed sounds like its an older model

try half speed and see how you go

Stuartli 00:09 28 Jul 2006

If you had a car that did 150mph, you wouldn't drive it flat out all the time would you?

I have a 24x write CD-RW drive, which is about four years old.

I've kept it strictly for burning purposes and use a DVD-ROM drive for software installation and listening to CDs or playing DVDs.

The maximum speed I use for burning is 16x on the rewriter and it has thus lasted me a lot longer than many such products.

The reason is that a rewriter's lifespan is much lower than a basic CD or DVD-ROM drive (just check the manufacturers' MTPF figures for proof).

However, it has become less necessary these days as even the top DVD rewriters can be obtained for around £30-£35 these days and a CD rewriter for less than half that.

My CD rewriter's list price was £189....:-)

phono 00:35 28 Jul 2006

The burn speed will usually be more dependent on the media that you are using, if, for example, you have a 32x drive and 48x media, (I'm talking CDs here), then you can safely burn at the writer's max speed of 32x without any problems.

It sounds to me though that your drive is having problems, if you cannot burn at any speed and the drive is making funny sounds then it appears that it is time for a new drive, a good source can be found at click here .

DVD-RW drives are so cheap now it makes me cry, the very first CD-RW drive I had was a 6x SCSI drive and cost almost £200, the last DVD-RW dual layer drive I bought was a Philips and was around £20 inc VAT, at the time of purchase, from the link above, drives are so cheap now it makes no sense burning at lower speeds to conserve the drive, unless of course it's Blue-Ray or HD-DVD we are talking about.

My advice is to go for a new drive, obviously from whatever source suits you of course.

dazwm 15:46 31 Aug 2006

Has your question been answered? If so please tick the resolved box.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?