IDE socket - missing pins?

NOVICE ENABLED 12:02 09 May 2006

The IDE socket that connects my floppy drive to the main board via a grey IDE cable has three pins missing - is this normal. See pic at:
click here
Could this be the cause of my monitor losing colour?
It keeps flickering between colour and green/blue. If I press anywhere on the main board, colour momentarily returns before going back to a green colour. If I link PC to TV via the yellow TV Out socket I don't have the colour problem, although the TV pic is blurred (different signal?) Where should I be looking on the main board for the cause of this colour loss?
Thanks in advance.

Totally-braindead 12:15 09 May 2006

Normally theres only one pin missing not three as there appears to be in your case but I really don't see how the floppy could in any way affect the display.

rmcqua 12:20 09 May 2006

The floppy drive connector issue will not be the cause of your colour problems. I'm assuming you have a separate graphics card. Try removing it, cleaning its contacts with a clean rubber eraser, then re-inserting it. Blow out any fluff etc. from the socket before you reinstall it.

NOVICE ENABLED 22:57 09 May 2006

Display Adapter is: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU
Where should I be looking for this?

Now, if I touch the main board the PC cuts out and I hear long 'beep' noises. I have to switch off at the mains to stop it. Is somethig failing?

Totally-braindead 23:04 09 May 2006

DO NOT touch the motherboard or anything else inside your PC when the power is on.

Totally-braindead 23:06 09 May 2006

Integrated GPU means you do not have a graphics card per se. The graphics you have is onboard, by that I mean its built into the actual motherboard.

Totally-braindead 23:09 09 May 2006

Rereading what you have said originally and since the TV picture is fine you have 2 possabilities.

There is a bad connection somewhere between the monitor and the motherboard graphics connection or there is something wrong with the monitor. Check the connections first, make sure they are screwed in properly and theres no dirt or anything in the connectors.

NOVICE ENABLED 23:58 09 May 2006

I unscrewed the monitor connector and all seems fine with it, all pins in tact & no dust or dirt. When rebooting though, this beeping noise returned and I had to switch off a the wall-socket again. Any idea what causes this? No change on the colour flickering either.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?