IDE to SATA

Ian in Northampton 11:13 14 Jul 2010

I have an IDE DVDRW drive that I want to install in a newer machine that, I believe, only supports SATA devices. Is this possible? TIA.

Chris_Byers 11:21 14 Jul 2010

Yes, you can buy an IDE to SATA convertor from Maplin here: click here

Ian in Northampton 11:36 14 Jul 2010

Great - thanks Chris.

Quiller. 11:44 14 Jul 2010

should have at least 1 IDE channel that supports 2 IDE devices.

Post back make and model of computer or motherboard make and model.

Ian in Northampton 11:47 14 Jul 2010

Dick, thanks. I'm at work now, and the system in question is at home - but it's a Medion system from Tesco, bought a few months ago. Does that help, or do I need to be more specific?

Quiller. 11:50 14 Jul 2010

I am fairly sure you will have an IDE connection on your motherboard that will support 2 devices but will have to know the model number.

Post back when you can and we will look into it for you.

Quiller. 12:01 14 Jul 2010

used in a tesco medion bezel p3 desktop click here

The motherboard lists the IDE connecter click here

This may not be your machine but the motherboard should have simmilar connections.

Ian in Northampton 14:06 14 Jul 2010

Many thanks Dick. Hopefully, I'll have time to run the system up this evening - I use it as a spare - and take a look. I'll let you know.

Ian in Northampton 19:46 14 Jul 2010

Well, it looks like it's an MSI-7366, and research has shown that all three versions of that board seem to offer IDE.
So...
I also note that the PC's existing DVDRW drive is a SATA drive. Is there a problem having two optical devices, one of which is SATA and the other IDE? Anything to look out for?
If that's OK, I assume that I'm going to need the IDE cable to connect the motherboard to the drive.
Also, am I right in thinking that an IDE drive needs to get power from somewhere, so I'm going to have to hope that there's an appropriate spare power cable hanging out of the power supply all ready to hook up? (I'm right in thinking, aren't I, that a the power socket on the DVDRW drive will only accept a plug of the right voltage?)
Just fyi, I posted a thread a few months ago describing a problem where my 'main' PC has two optical drives that suffer from the notorious 'stuck in PIO mode' problem. I tried everything everyone suggested, and some more besides that I researched, but nothing will budge them into DMA mode. In desperation, I'm planning to replace the two existing IDE drives with the two new IDE drives I've just bought, in the hope that, somehow, the problem is in the drives.
If that works, great. If not, I'll put one of the IDE drives in my backup Medion PC as a second drive, and either keep the second one as a spare, or stick it on eBay and lose a bit of money on it.

robin_x 20:51 14 Jul 2010

I got my converter from amazon. Much cheaper.

click here

I did not get a bi directional one but should have done cos they were same price or just £1 different and I wanted one a few weeks later.

While it worked perfectly immediately, I noticed as I was fiddling around inside my old PC that I had SATa ports anyway. Oh well. It comes in useful every now and again when I am messing around with bits and pieces.

Quiller. 09:53 15 Jul 2010

"Is there a problem having two optical devices, one of which is SATA and the other IDE? Anything to look out for?"

You can use both SATA and IDE drives together. What you will find is that, especially if you use games disks, the IDE drive will work much harder trying to send data to memory, the gpu and the cpu. The transfer rate is much slower than SATA. So hesitation and heat build up will occur if the program needs to be reading data from the disk for long periods.

For normal day to day use, it should work reasonably well.

As to power for the drive. You will have a couple of 4 socket moulenex plugs, from the psu, to plug into the IDE devices.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?