IDE and SATA

campal 22:41 22 Jul 2009

I have a 20 GB ide hard drive, i have just added a 200GB sata hard drive. I run xp on my ide and i want to run vista on my sata. although i can add programmes etc to my sata it is not recognised in my bios. how can i get it recognised? Mainboard : Unspecified P4i65G. BIOS
Manufacturer : American Megatrends Inc.
Version : P1.10
Date : 05/16/2006 (mm/dd/yyyy)
Address : 0x0 on 512 KB
Copyright : (C)2003 American Megatrends, Inc
Motherboard ID : 63-101-0000010-00101111-051606-INTEL-P4i6G101
DMI Version : 2.3

cream. 22:58 22 Jul 2009

If the SATA drive is connected to the motherboard, it IS being recognised in the bios. Otherwise it would not work in windows.

The SATA drives are some times listed as IDE ones. Check again.

campal 23:29 22 Jul 2009

It only shows the 1 ide drive in the bios boot up etc. No other drives only my floppy and dvd writer

DieSse 23:32 22 Jul 2009

"although i can add programmes etc to my sata it is not recognised in my bios"

Oh yes it is - otherwise Windows wouldn't see it and you wouldn't be able to use it at all.

T try and set up with Vista without running any risk of upsetting your current installation - disconnect your IDE drive first. Simply removing it's power cable will be enough. (Remove mains first!)

You may need a floppy with SATA drivers on it to do the installation. When you've worked out how to make the install actually happen, you can then look at double booting, if that's what you want. Lots of tutorials how if you google.

A couple of comments - a 20GB hard drive sort of implies an older system. Does it have the capability to run Vista (eg a reasonably fast processor plus 1GB RAM minimum?

- Why are you going for Vista now, when Win7 is just around the corner (RC version available for free download) and reportedly better in all respects, plus it will run more easily on lower spec systems?

DieSse 23:33 22 Jul 2009

dual booting - not double - sorry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?