IDE ribbon cable connectors

Kalb 12:30 26 Oct 2003

I have recently replaced my old CD ROM drive and a combo DVD/CD R/RW drive with a faster CD R/RW drive and a separate DVD drive. Because of the way round the drives fit in the case I replaced the old 80 pin ribbon with a slightly longer one. Both work fine but I notice at boot up a notification that did not appear before saying " Secondary IDE channel no 80 conductor cable installed " Is this significant and should I bother to replace the current cable with an 80 conductor one ?

holly polly 12:41 26 Oct 2003

if you have reverted back to the 40 pin ide cable ,this is a step backwards you get the faster transfer times on the ide 80 pin cable -regards - hol pol...

AndySD 12:41 26 Oct 2003

Its not important unless you use a hard drive on the secondary ide channel.

DieSse 12:44 26 Oct 2003

You only get faster transfer rates on an 80 wire cable if the drives are capable of it.

The drives have to be at ATA/UDMA66 or higher to actually require an 80 wire cable to use the faster transfer rates - but the cables are better anyway - less "noisy" - so should be used wherever they will work (I did have some optical drives that didn't work with them - but yours sound as though they do if you were using one earlier).

Kalb 13:16 26 Oct 2003

Thanks for the replies. The two drives are LITEON LTR48125S and the DVD JLMS DVDROM 166S but whether these are ATA/UDMA 66 so as to require 80 wire cable I don't know...the fact that the message 'no 80 conductor cable installed' appears could indicate that at least one of the drives requires such a cable? What do you think ?

DieSse 13:32 26 Oct 2003

No, the message comes from the fact the cable itself is sensed. There is a cut in one particular wire that the motherboard can look for, and thus knows what type of cable it is.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?