IDE Hdd detect problems

macc189 13:42 29 Apr 2008

I recently tried to add a second hdd to a friends computer, he wanted me to clone his old drive to the new one, so, after setting the new hdd to slave i powered up using a hddclone boot disk, this worked but failed to see the new drive so I powered off (this was the last time I would get ANYTHING out of the system). I removed both hdd's and checked the jumper settings, the old one was cable select so i moved the jumper to master, refitted and tried a normal boot, nothing, old drive wouldnt even spin up so checked cables, tried different cables, tried all jumper combinations, different power cables, other ide channel (which the cdroms are connected to and they still work fine, on either channel)
In the end i put everything back to how it was before id even opened the case, nothing, even the new hdd when put on its own gives "Primary master disk failure" at post, this does power up but i cant even get past post to install an os on it. Any ideas here are most welcome!

Jak_1 13:48 29 Apr 2008

Has the new drive been formatted? Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management. You should be able to see the drive there and format it.

macc189 14:00 29 Apr 2008

I cant get that far! bios wont detect old hdd with os on to do that (hdd wont even spin anymore)

Jak_1 14:03 29 Apr 2008

Sounds like the old hdd is dead?

macc189 14:15 29 Apr 2008

I thought that initially, i hope not as this guys all important docs and files are stored upon it. I just cant see how, all i did was move the jumper to master and put the hdd back in, i didnt even remove any cables at that stage (and all the power was off and unplugged) very, very odd.

DieSse 15:14 29 Apr 2008

Sometimes the power cable molex plugs are very tight. It's not overly difficult to break the solder join where the connector is soldered onto the drive, when you plug/unplug.

An eye-glass or magnifying glass is a great aid to looking at the joints to see if this has happened.

It's also quite easy not to push the plugs fully into the sockets.

Also check that the IDE cable is on the correct way round - red stripe edge should be nearest the power connector. I seem to recollect that that can stop the drive from starting up - but I'm not going to test it to check (sorry- but I'm sure you understand why.).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?