IDE hard Drive

Allan RISC OS user 17:19 07 Jul 2010
Answered

I have two hard drives in my old HP Pavilion t580uk and they are now redundant as regards that machine, both are about 300GB. My new machine has one Sata Hard Drive installed. Ideally I would like to re-use one or both drives.
1. Is there a way to install one of the IDE Drives into the new machine.
2. Is there a "caddy" which I could attach to the USB port if option 1 is not viable.

I am asking this question as it seems wasteful to not make use of drives, one of which is quite new.
Also opening the case of the new machine, and installing either one of the IDE drives or a New SATA drive could invalidate the warranty.

MAT ALAN 17:27 07 Jul 2010

click here

IDE to SATA converter...

jack 17:34 07 Jul 2010

As suggested by MAT ALAN
I have a number of drives that I use for storage.
They are naked- not in a caddy and connected to computer with an IDE/USB cable and an external power supply

onthelimit 17:49 07 Jul 2010

This is the sort of caddy that plugs directly into a usb port click here . This one doesn't mention windows 7, but gives you an idea of what to look for.

woodchip 18:08 07 Jul 2010
Answer

You most likely also have IDE socket on the motherboard that may take two IDE on a single cable

Allan RISC OS user 12:20 20 Jul 2010

Thanks for your help, I now have the Bi-Directional IDE / SATA Converter as recommended, and all appears to be working well, the only extra I needed to purchase was a SATA to IDE power converter, cost about £3.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?