IDE Hard drive

Liza 11:38 26 Jun 2007

I think there is a problem with my hard drive. When computer starts up the drive is shown along with the other SATA and dvd and ram drives but as start goes through following appears:
Primary hard drive smart capability is disabled
Please wait for ide scan
drive O not detected, drive 1, 2, 3 not detected.

Windows XP SP2 comes on and I type in my password but am not able to start anything for a long time on the desktop, say about 5 mins. When I click icon during this waiting time the system hangs.

What is wrong does anyone know, please Liza

Grantrh 11:55 26 Jun 2007

There is usually a setting in the BIOS (press delete during POST to get into) that allows you to turn off or on smart monitoring of hard drives - you should enable it if it isn't already enabled. Maybe this will help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:50 26 Jun 2007

IS XP installed on the IDE or the SATA drive?

Liza 21:17 27 Jun 2007

Hello Grantrh

Thanks for your reply. I deleted post and went into BIOS but could not find smart monitoring of hard drives. Please tell me where I can find this. Thanks Liza

Liza 21:19 27 Jun 2007

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/XP is installed on the IDE drive. Liza

Grantrh 14:40 14 Sep 2007

Hi,
I was just looking over my old postings and was wondering if you managed to get your problem sorted out?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:03 14 Sep 2007

Could be trying to run scn disk at start

Check Disk Prevent Upon Boot (Line 294) click here
Disable Autochk click here

Liza 16:00 14 Sep 2007

Hello Fruit Bat /\0/\
and Grantrh

Thanks for being in touch. No I have managed to sort problem out. However, I am on hols at present in canada. As soon as I return ie in Jan 2008 I will get on to desktop and do as you advise. Liza

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache