IDE Hard drive

Liza 11:38 26 Jun 2007

I think there is a problem with my hard drive. When computer starts up the drive is shown along with the other SATA and dvd and ram drives but as start goes through following appears:
Primary hard drive smart capability is disabled
Please wait for ide scan
drive O not detected, drive 1, 2, 3 not detected.

Windows XP SP2 comes on and I type in my password but am not able to start anything for a long time on the desktop, say about 5 mins. When I click icon during this waiting time the system hangs.

What is wrong does anyone know, please Liza

Grantrh 11:55 26 Jun 2007

There is usually a setting in the BIOS (press delete during POST to get into) that allows you to turn off or on smart monitoring of hard drives - you should enable it if it isn't already enabled. Maybe this will help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:50 26 Jun 2007

IS XP installed on the IDE or the SATA drive?

Liza 21:17 27 Jun 2007

Hello Grantrh

Thanks for your reply. I deleted post and went into BIOS but could not find smart monitoring of hard drives. Please tell me where I can find this. Thanks Liza

Liza 21:19 27 Jun 2007

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/XP is installed on the IDE drive. Liza

Grantrh 14:40 14 Sep 2007

Hi,
I was just looking over my old postings and was wondering if you managed to get your problem sorted out?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:03 14 Sep 2007

Could be trying to run scn disk at start

Check Disk Prevent Upon Boot (Line 294) click here
Disable Autochk click here

Liza 16:00 14 Sep 2007

Hello Fruit Bat /\0/\
and Grantrh

Thanks for being in touch. No I have managed to sort problem out. However, I am on hols at present in canada. As soon as I return ie in Jan 2008 I will get on to desktop and do as you advise. Liza

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017