IDE fault or somthing else

ACOLYTE 01:15 02 Jun 2007

Im having a bit of trouble with of my pc's,yesterday it locked up for about 5 mins,then started to beep like mad i had to restet it,after this it ran a scandisk and deleted loads of files.

Then when it booted into windows it just turned off,and wouldnt turn back on.
I took the side off and looked around and narrwowed the fault to what i think is the IDE port on the mobo,but its a strange fault,if i connect the hdd and turn on the pc it starts for like 1 second then turns off
if i take out the power from the hdd,it turns off,
if i leave the power and take out the IDE cable from hdd it turns off,if i connect a CD drive and the hard drive together on same cable it boots up but doesnt recognise the hdd in bios but it does see the CD drive.
I thought it might be a fualty cable and changed it to a known good cable but the same thing happens.
I then tried the hdd in another pc as slave and it was picked up and worked fine,the only way i can get the other pc to boot is to have both a cd and hdd on the same cable but then the hdd doesnt show up in the bios.
I did try to have the hdd and cd on seperate cables from IDE1 and IDE2 but the pc does the same thing turns on for a second then goes off,im stumped.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?