IDE Exception errors WIN98

JimButler 18:56 12 May 2006

Hi, a friend has a Presario running Win98.
He recently replaced a CD Reader with a DVD Reader giving himself this plus a CD Re-Writer.
Attempting to use either throws up a Blue screen exception ( do not know the exact text ).
The DVD reader is on IDE Primary ( ie end of IDE ribbon cable ). All connections secure, IDE enabled in BIOS. Is this possibly driver issue ? Does an IDE device even require drivers ?
Ta for any help provided.

JimButler 20:49 12 May 2006

Sorry about incorrect terminology. I meant Master when I referred to IDE Primary ie Master on the Secondary IDE.

woodchip 21:01 12 May 2006

He needs to go into Device Manager and remove the CD drive then restart the computer. He does also need to load the software after the above that he got with the drive

DieSse 22:42 12 May 2006

First he should check carefully the jumper settings. With two drives, the positions of the drive on the cable are only relevant if the Cable Select jumpers are used. Just putting a drive on the end of a cable does not automatically make it a Master - this happens only if Cable Select is used.

Do not mix a Cable Select jumpered drive with a Master or Slave jumpered drive, otherwise confusion may reign.

If using Master and Slave jumper positons, he needs to make sure that the new drive jumper is set to the same position as the one removed.

IDE drives do not require any driver software to simply operate.

It's normal practice to set a reader/writer as the Master, and a reader only as the Slave. Some drives can be very picky about this.

JimButler 19:24 14 May 2006

Ta very much, especially very thorough comments from DieSse. I had forgotten about the jumpers on these devices ( which possibly are not set for Cable Select ). I will pass this on. Ta very much again to all concerned. With respect to software, his latest device ( bought 2nd hand ) was not provided with any s/ware. I think ( as per DieSse`s comments ) this not an issue.
Ta again.

JimButler 15:41 17 May 2006

In case this of use to anyone else, issue resolved thus -
DVD Reader set as Master ( End of IDE ribbon )
CD Writer set as Slave

Jumpers on devices set to Cable Select
No further drivers loaded

All OK with functionality of both drives.
Hope this useful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?