IDE drives reported as SCSI in device manager

User-7A745D18-AA77-4264-9D17E76CC8A1664E 21:32 02 Jan 2003

Following a reinstallation of Windows XP (over the top) my son's computer is showing that his hard drive and CD ROM drive are SCSI devices whereas they are IDE.

The system seems to be functioning correctly but is there any way of correcting this error.

I have tried removing the CD ROM drive from Device Manager and rebooting the system but this didn't have any effect.

ams4127 22:09 02 Jan 2003

I've got the same thing on mine. All I can say is that it's been like it since I installed XP on the day it was launched and it's never given any problems.

My humble advice would be to leave well alone, working on the age old principle of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Why Am I Here? 00:08 03 Jan 2003

Ignore it - it is just the way Windows NT (which includes NT, 2000 and XP) refers to IDE devices.

Thanks for the replies.

My son has had XP for several months and it is only after the recent reinstallation that the drives were reported as SCSI.

I too have XP and the drives are listed correctly.

As my son's system appears to be working fine, the suggetion to leave well alone/ignore it seems logical although I will leave it to him to decide if he wants to persue the issue.

If you have raid enabled motherboards then this could be the answer - the system is seeing the raid driver nad "thinks" the drives are SCSI.

I DO run a raid setup although not in the proper sense - I simply use the Raid connectors for my two hard drives (CD/RW and DVD being on seperate IDE 1 & 2 CHannels) but need to install the Raid driver to enable them, consequently the drives are reported as SCSI and not IDE.

The board does not support raid but the input is much appreciated, smiffy99.

My son has done a number of clean installs following missing or corrupt files at startup but as mentioned in my original posting, he installed XP over the top so it looks this is the cause.

Some of my post seems to have disappeared.

Anyway, I was trying to say that following a number of problems with missing or corrupt files, my son has had to do a clean reinstall several times whereas he installed XP over the rop last time so this seems to be the cause.

Sorry, the text was included in the post, it just wasn't displayed correctly on the machine I am using.

€dstow 12:51 03 Jan 2003

To support the third hard drive I have in my machines and in some a third CD or DVD drive, I have an Ultra ATA/133 PCI Adapter Card in each which effectively gives me four extra IDE connections. None of the machine have RAID. On three machines WXP sees these cards as SCSI connectors on the remainder they are seen as IDE. They all work with no problems and there is no noticable difference between them so I don't worry about it.

As ams4127 says: if it ain't broke - - -

€d

Mac & Beth 12:56 03 Jan 2003

Got any more details on that Ultra ATA/133 PCI Adapter Card?

Does this mean if i have 2 hard drives on IDE1, and a DVD drive and CDRW on IDE2 using a Ultra ATA/133 PCI Adapter Card i can add MORE Hard Drives and an internal ZIP Drive?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?