ide drive using usb

lofty758 12:51 16 Nov 2008

I am no IT expert but have a Seagate hard drive taken from an old computer & would like to use it as an external backup. Looking at adverts etc there are many ide to usb leads but is it as simple as buying one of these, plugging it into the back of the drive connecting to usb port & away I go.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

iqs 12:56 16 Nov 2008
  LastChip 12:58 16 Nov 2008

click here for a tutorial I wrote a while ago. It was written for Linux, but is exactly the same for Windows or indeed anything else.

MAJ 13:02 16 Nov 2008

The answer to your question is Yes. But a better way to go is as iqs and LastChip have suggested.

audeal 13:30 16 Nov 2008

Try EASY IDE. click here You do not need a caddy or anything else.

Place the Hard drive on the desk in front of you. Plug the IDE device into the "IDE cable slot" on the drive then plug the usb cable into your USB Port and the power plug into the power socket on the Easy IDE device. Plug in the main power adapter into the wall socket and away you go. It' a dodle. No caddies or anything else needed.

LastChip 13:51 16 Nov 2008

But lofty758 wants to use the drive as an external backup and the solution you offer provides no physical protection for the drive.

MAJ 13:58 16 Nov 2008

......... they're not great/reliable, I have one, wish I'd bought an enclosure instead.

audeal 22:31 16 Nov 2008

MAJ: I purchased mine over a year ago for ease of connecting drives which where not installed.

This method is useful for storing your backups on with no danger of corruption from the computer.

I use this method all the time with no problems.

stlucia 08:02 17 Nov 2008

I've just got myself a 3.5" enclosure which looks very similar to the one in LastChip's tutorial link, and I'm very happy with it.

For me it was even simpler than the tutorial might suggest -- the leaflet that came with the enclosure told me to set the HDD jumper to Master, so that's what I did. And no formatting was needed after the HDD was installed, so I was able to right away recover data that had previously been stored on the HDD when it was the C:\ drive in my old PC which had died.

Of course, if you're using a new unformatted HDD you'll have to go through the formatting routine when it's installed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?