IDE cable not detected

martjc 11:50 29 Oct 2004

A new problem arose. When I boot up I get a message before Windows XP starts. "Primary IDE channel. No 80 conductor cable detected." Things I've done: 1. swapped the cable with a new one. 2. used a shorter cable. 3. checked that all the pins are straight. Strange thing is that the machine works fine apart from: On IDE 2 I have CDRW drive and DVD drive. These do not detect when a new disk is put in. If I click on them in Explorer I get "Please put a disk in drive x:"

I have tried these drives every way round with the same result: If a disk is in when I boot up it's fine. Problem is when I put in a different disk while the machine is on.

I'm sure these two problems are related, but HOW?

Any ideas??

JonnyTub 12:10 29 Oct 2004

if the ide is listed in device manager, right click on it and select uninstall, reboot and allow windows to automatically reinstall the driver, should the old have become corrupt.

martjc 12:14 29 Oct 2004

That was one of the first things I did, thinking 'corruption'. No Go.

JonnyTub 12:18 29 Oct 2004

have you tried setting the bios to factory defaults?

buscrew 12:21 29 Oct 2004

Don't know if this will help, but have you replaced the 80 wire cable with a 40 wire cable, which you maybe don't need.

martjc 12:26 29 Oct 2004

But this is getting stupid now. I deleted the ide settings again as you first suggested and it seemed to work! Guess it's a case of 'Computers always work perfectly - sometimes.' Thanks for your help.

Martin

JonnyTub 12:28 29 Oct 2004

ide drivers.. don't you just love em :0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?