IDE Cable Issue

leemgilbert 10:33 22 Oct 2003

Can anyone tell me how I can hook up 2 CD Rom drives, and a zip drive.

The IDE cable i have only has 2 connections of it which currently work the two CD Roms, leaving the Zip drive unpluged.

I only have one IDE connection on my motherboard.

Can you get leads with 3 connections of it?

Thank you

the IDE controller will only manage two devices so No you cannot connect three, Yo will have to invest in a plugin (ISA,PCI) controller card to add extra IDE channels or ditch the ZIp and replace your cdrom with a cdrw.

Inverjazz 11:49 22 Oct 2003

It's very unusual for a motherboard to have only one IDE connection. As horiz5 says you're only way out is to invest in a PCI/IDE controller card. This plugs into spare PCI slot and provides another one or two IDE connections. I used one of these at one time but it caused problems. You'd be better off upgrading your motherboard to one with two IDE connections.

Ben Avery 10:57 30 Dec 2003

What is your HDD plugged into???

Sheila-214876 11:21 30 Dec 2003

If you have 2 CD ROMS and a hard disk connected then you must have 2 IDE sockets on your motherboard????

DieSse 11:37 30 Dec 2003

And a spare socket on the hard drive IDE cable for the Zip drive (or you need to get a new cable with two sockets if your current one only has one socket)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

How artist Alex Yanes worked with his daughter on this bright 3D mural for Monument Valley 2

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comment regarder le lancement du Galaxy Note 8 en direct ?